Sequoyah Outdoor Wood Furnaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aocspectrum7vlra

Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Central MO
I buried this in a long post and didn't get any responses. Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts about Sequoyah Outdoor Wood Furnaces made by Barrett Ent?

Thanks

I'll be glad to tell you when my boiler is completely installed, by Nov. 20 or so what it can do........my home is a 40 x 28 Cape in Westport Mass, 2 story breezeway and room over the garage is approx 400 ft2... the garage will have a Modine in it so I can continue the projects as they come along. It was built 10 years ago and is insulated well. 2 x 6 walls, 2 x 10 roof structure, the garage is 2 x 4. All told approx 3200 ft2.
Callie Barrett has always treated me with respect. I like her just fine, Rick, the fella who designs and builds these units is plenty helpful. I used flexsulseal insulated pipe buried 24 to 30" deep, 50' of it from stove to cellar. A 40- plate Heat Exchanger and the rest of the do dads to complete the deal will be installed by a liscenced contractor. I look forward to chiming in from time to time, when I'm not cutting, stacking, organizing, or resting to fill you in. Next, I'd really like to power the house with solar equipment. I hear the tax credits and rebates are very substantial. Stay warm, Paul

We needed 50-52ft in the trench, 5ft sticking out at the slab and 5ft at the house, I bought 5 ft of insurance for a total of 65 feet for 812.50. I bought the flexsul-seal from callie. My installer,(a hvac a/c guy full time) likes it. My buddy has a e3400 he used urecon pipe and bought 150 ft !!!!!
every one uses their own good ideas, I wanted my stove closer so........ I called Sequoya today, the stove should leave Wisconsin on Fri the 14th. Gotta trim the pipe,(black corrugated part) and set the pipe in the house yet. 40 plate heat exch and Modine for the garage is on the way. Glad to pass on any info that will help...............Paul

The dealer I bought my stove from also sells Sequoyahs. a local atv/snowmobile/motorcycle dealer bought one from him. Basically a open 15000 sq ft shell with no insulation. Don't know what size it is, but I beleive it is the biggest one they make. He was tired of trying to pay for the heating bill so he went this way. Last year was his first winter and all went well.

Paul, nice to hear someone else locally is purchasing one of these as well. I got into a little email confusion with Callie about the pipe pricing and she offered me a more than fair deal. I hope my boiler will be on the same truck, but I have not heard anything as of yet. When did you place the order? I was told sometime in November...possibly December.

I ordered my stove before 8-11.........3 months ago. I called Sequoya today, yesterday, last week 2 or 3 times, each time I call I get a different answer. The latest is........the stove will leave Wisconsin on this Friday the 14th. Let's just see what really happens. As always, I'll be glad to pass on any info that will help. Paul

Bigjohnn said:
I buried this in a long post and didn't get any responses. Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts about Sequoyah Outdoor Wood Furnaces made by Barrett Ent?

Thanks
ive looked into the efficieny and they are about 28%read the test report on there web site

http://www.wdheat.com/epa.htm

ECO, every thing I've read claims 73-85% efficiency. Where did you read 28%. I think I could rub my hands together and get better efficiency if that was the case.

Paul, Callie shot me an email saying my delivery was early next week?

I thought you would rcv yours too, when my stove was shipped out, being as how you're just 75 miles away. I called Sequoya yesterday late and spoke to Jessie, she has laryngitis and could barely speak, but she did say today, Friday the 21st, my stove would leave Wisconsin. It could arrive on Sunday so be prepared.800-571-7002 is the tel. # for the factory. Callie sent me their version of a owners manual via fax, my buddie here in my town has one and is using it now. I'll be asking him how well it works and pay him a visit soon. My installer tells me I will be impressed at how little wood it burns to create comfort. Im balancing my excitement with the fact I'll be hustling trees for the next 20 years or more until my daughter settles on a candidate with big shoulders. I'll fill you in on any details as they become available, good luck with yours , Paul

"Efficiency" is one of the most abused measures in wood boiler sales. You need to know the "overall system efficiency" which factors in not only how completely the boiler burns the wood you feed it, but how well it transfers that heat to the water and into the rest of the system. If, as is the case with most non-gasifying boilers, much of your heat goes up the stack, then overall system efficiency will suffer. Most manufacturers report "combustion efficiency" which is simply how well the wood burns in the firebox, while conveniently ignoring the fact that most of that heat is being wasted. If you have stack temps of over 1,000 degrees F., then you're losing a great deal of efficiency up the stack. Creosote and smoke are also indicators of system inefficiencies, as they represent lost potential heat that would have been exploited in a more efficient rig.

Nofossil did some fairly comprehensive measurements of the overall system efficiency of his EKO 25, and came up with about 60%. Bear in mind that the EKO 25 is a very efficient boiler, and nofossil is a very careful and fastidious wood burner. 27% sounds about right for most OWBs, except the new gasifiers. I would guess that most of us who have gasifiers see less overall efficiency than nofossil.

http://www.state.me.us/dep/air/woodsmoke/woodcombustion3.htm

Sequoyah Paradis--E3400 101,020 BTU/hr--0.488 lbs/million BTU heat input--Efficency 27.0% :ahhh:

Can this be true :question: 27% :exclaim: That’s worse than the non-gasification ones!! This can’t be right?

It says on Sequoyah’s main page it’s 73-83% efficent.

I was ready to put a deposit on one. Really I was. Now I’m really confused!

Please help me with this :roll:

Thank You

I spoke with Rick(owner of Sequoya) last night about this since I have one on order. He has stated since I purchased mine that Sequoya was the 1st OWB company to offer it's unit for EPA testing. The first tests were done on a unit without it's shell/shed and insulation. He stated..."Our testing shows it to be 72-85%, newest epa test shows 57%, done one way they do it and 68% the other way they do the math. Neither way takes into account the moisture in the wood."
I can't see the boiler being truly 27% or we would be hearing about it from customers who already purchased them. I'm moving forward with mine and once it's installed, I will post some video and stats on the unit. If it's a failure, I will have lost 9k and believe me, everyone will hear about it. I've talked to customers who have this unit up and running for over 1 or 2 seasons and they have nothing but good things to say about it. They say it's clean burning, very little visible smoke to none when operating at regular temp, 1 to 2 loads of wood for a 24 hr period depending on outside temp. If it was truly only 27%, I don't think they would see that kind of performance? Time will tell!

Reactions: North bound
Well, all I've head is that Rick Sequoyah is an Honerable Man and would not lead one astray :exclaim: I guess?

If you fill-er up and it burns, and the stack temperature is down, the energy has to go somewheres :exclaim: I guess?

Look at this 3400's demonstration video.

http://www.woodgasificationfurnace.com/video/sequoia-e3400.wmv

Look at this burn video of the 3400's firebox burn video. Looks kool.

http://www.woodgasificationfurnace.com/view-outdoor-furnace-firebox.php

If they were not efficient, I think we would hear about it :exclaim: I think?

I am still confused, but who knows, other than owners themselves.

We shall see :exclaim: I guess?

So come on owners, post :exclaim: Thank you.

I got the call today and mine has been shipped out. I've also heard alot of good things about Rick. I've watched those videos a 1/2 dozen times..LOL. Good or bad, i'll post a full report.

I received my e3300 yesterday. Before you install it you must cut a hole in the floor under the blower motor/fan to accommodate the entry of your underground insulated lines. In my case, I sleeved a path with 8" PVC for the flexsulseal in the cement pad. Now, I need to cut a hole to receive the 8" PVC sticking up above the cement, and snake the flexsulseal in that hole. Guess I'll be lifting the stove again. This allows you to open the back door, attach the hot out and cold in lines, hook up the electricity supply, and put the door panel back on to protect the blower fan/motor from the elements.
I want to explain to the guys who are about to rcv a stove, you need to pick off the stove, which is 7 ft high, off a truck that has a deck about 54" high off the street. a sturdy fork truck, or loading dock, with a fork truck will do, or get the driver to be a lot lower than you somehow. Also, the truck that delivered my stove has limited access to small driveways and needs a LOT of room to maneuver. The driver has a GPS but it's not that accurate. Give good directions. Best of luck to all of you receiving stoves soon. More later.................P_ray

Paul, did you pour the pad with the "horse shoe" design on the supplied drawing? How did you get the boiler off the truck? I have to hire a local logger to lift it off. If you have time..throw in some pics of the back of the boiler hookup!

The pad is 8' x 10', I took the stove off with a Ford loader/backhoe.............barely got it off ok, I'm guessing now the padeye on the stove is approx 12' off the ground. My guy went on the highside to finally get it. I'll send some pics very soon!!!!!! If you want to call me it's 508-642-0755. Be glad to help...........installer on his way here tomorrow........might be done before Santa comes !!!

They called and said mine left Monday and should take 5-7 days to get here. My fingers are crossed. I'm going to be down in Dudley today. I don't know how close you are to there. I'll give you a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.