Several Questions for New Purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PabloK

Dec 20, 2018
Oregon
I've read the documentation and have a few follow up questions to help determine what we should buy.
We're looking at the Fireplace Xtrordinair Large Flush Hybrid-Fyre Wood Insert or the Regency CI2600. I should also note I'm in the energy efficiency business. I don't know much about wood stuff, but want to buy a high efficiency unit with low emissions.

First question is about size. The guides in the sticky link say don't buy too big or too small. LOL Thanks! Our house is 2670, I think 1400 upstairs where the insert will be. The room with the insert is 15x19 and pretty closed off, but has a giant single pane window in it. The house currently doesn't have wall insulation but will in the future (getting blown in). We also plan to open up the living room into the dining room so the immediate space the stove would be heating would double. I'm thinking I'll run the fan on the central air to circulate the heat around the house. There is also a wood stove in the basement, but we're just doing the upstairs now. DS gets little use currently. This kind of ties in the questions below, but will the large be ok - not to big?

Heat/Burn - Can we run them turned down without making it 90 degrees in the living room? Also, one of the installers that came by warned against larger units "because you'll have to have smaller fires and the window will turn black." I noticed on the Regency CI2600 thread that several people complained of black windows. And, the Choosing your Wood Stove sticky link says burning slow builds up creosote. Is a black viewing window just part of running a big stove on low regardless of make? If we keep it turned up a bit will be roasting?

Cleaning the chimney before install - Our house has an old solid door insert and the chimney has quite a bit of build up - probably not cleaned since at least early 80s and there isn't a sleeve. I just goes up a bit into the chimney. There's enough that the guy said he wouldn't risk using the existing unit. Do I need to clean the chimney before installing a new unit with a sleeve?

Sleeve - chimney is on the inside of the house. Do I need the insulated type? I seem to remember the dealer saying we just need the hard smooth, but not insulated. There are two flues in the chimney so they probably aren't really big to give the gaps needed.

Power - I read a comment from someone saying their manual or dealer said their insert can't/shouldn't be used without power. I know you don't get as much heat without a blower, but is it harmful to run one without the blower going? I'm thinking power outages here. Also, does anyone know what size motor these units run - watts or hp?

Finally, the stove in the basement has the same flue that just runs up into the chimney a bit. It's like a potbelly that mostly sits on the hearth. Can I just run a sleeve down to it and use it?

Thanks

One thing I found interesting regarding the efficiency is that the FPX unit is listed at .58 g/hr emissions and 80% efficient, but their new numbers for the 2020 rating are 1.9 g/hr and 78% efficiency. The .58 is crib wood so I'm guessing the 1.9 is cord, but I'm curious how much the Regency unit would go up and if they'll even be able to make the 2020 standard.

Last edited:
There are some folks who own the LFWH insert I believe.

Clean the chimney and smoke shelf as if you life depends on it...Creosote is highly flammable.

Hot fires will air wash and clean the glass.

Does your manual call for an insulated liner?

Some stoves are not that good a low and slow from all that I have read.Long time users will help in best low cruising stoves. Some catalytic models can burn at lower temps for longer durations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any cat stove that is run low and slow is going to gunk up the glass. You are burning a smoldering fire and letting the cat eat the smoke. If the total sq ftg is low then consider a smaller insert and maybe a non-cat that you burn smaller hotter fires in when heat demand is low.
Absolutely get that chimney completely clean including the smoke shelf area.
The insulated liner need is determined by safety first. The chimney needs to have 2" clearance from combustibles all the way up. Most don't, and require an insulated liner.
Finally, the stove in the basement has the same flue that just runs up into the chimney a bit. It's like a potbelly that mostly sits on the hearth. Can I just run a sleeve down to it and use it?
Explain that a bit more. Only one appliance is allowed per flue.

Pictures are welcome. They often help us spot other issues.

Explain that a bit more. Only one appliance is allowed per flue.

Pictures are welcome. They often help us spot other issues.

Here's pictures of the stove in the basement. Not sure if I have the terms right, but I'm wondering if I can have someone connect a lining to this flue that just goes into the chimney a bit and run that lining to the roof.

Attachments

• 20181230_203633.jpg
    20181230_203633.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 20181230_203625.jpg
    20181230_203625.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 171
So you are in the energy efficiency business and have single pane windows and no insulation? I’d save the money and upgrade those right away. I also wouldn’t get too caught up in these numbers manufacturers put out. Do your research, lots of cat problems that are expensive, poor burn times. It may be “clean” burning. What’s more efficient, loading a stove once a day with no visible smoke and a slightly higher tested emissions, or loading a stove several times a day, replacing the catalyst every 2 years, but has a lower published emissions? Do your research thoroughly, and don’t get too hung up on the numbers. If you’re so worried about emissions, then you won’t be using that smoke dragon in the basement!

So you are in the energy efficiency business and have single pane windows and no insulation? I’d save the money and upgrade those right away. I also wouldn’t get too caught up in these numbers manufacturers put out. Do your research, lots of cat problems that are expensive, poor burn times. It may be “clean” burning. What’s more efficient, loading a stove once a day with no visible smoke and a slightly higher tested emissions, or loading a stove several times a day, replacing the catalyst every 2 years, but has a lower published emissions? Do your research thoroughly, and don’t get too hung up on the numbers. If you’re so worried about emissions, then you won’t be using that smoke dragon in the basement!

Ha! Yeah. Lots of upgrades needed. I've only been in the house a year and a half. The fireplace is coming first because we have a ton of wood that I need to start processing - and I want a second source of heat. Insulation will come when we paint the house and windows actually have the longest payback of any efficiency unit. So, they'll be down the road a way.

Point taken on the emissions. The dragon in the basement would be a once in a while thing.

Reactions: webby3650
We removed the insert that was in the fireplace. I should have gotten a picture of it before my wife started cleaning it out, but it was FULL of ash. This is what was behind the insert. She scooped out about 10 gallons of ash. I don't know but assume that is a lot. We hadn't ever used the fireplace. The guy that owned the house prior didn't do much work and I'm guessing that is ash build up since 1983 when he bought the place. There is still ash in the basement stove and he said he never used that one...

Attachments

• 20190106_172856.jpg
    20190106_172856.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 123