Several Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Autorotate

Apr 16, 2014
Phila
Hello all,

I haven't been on here in a while and I am into my third year of burning. It has definitely been a learning experience, but I wouldn't take it back for the world.

I have several questions and wanted to get a little insight.

1) I have my flue cleaned by a professional every year. I had it cleaned a few weeks ago before I started burning this year. I also had the top baffles replaced after three years. When I first start a fire I am hearing the dripping (I assume creosote breaking up) until the fire gets hot and going. I learned the dry wood lesson and burn two year old dried hardwood. I have Duravent double wall stovepipe that has (2) 45's before it goes 90 out two stories and through the roof. I also utilize one scoop of creosote remover regularly, and I know it is not the metal from the stove expanding as that is a different sound.

Is there any way to prevent this so I do not have a stovepipe fire eventually? Or is this normal?

2) I have the Hearthstone Manchester and love the look of it and the side door. However, I am just not getting much last from the coals. As an example, I loaded it with three logs at 2am, set the internal damper to half, and by 6:50AM I had no coals to relight the fire. Granted the temperatures in PA are in single digits, I think I should get a little more time even with three logs. I never get real long burn time or heat life and just not overly impressed with the stove. Or possibly the stove operator....haha

Hearthstone Manchester

Heats up to: 2,400 sq.ft.
Firebox Capacity: 2.9 cu.ft.
Size: Up to 78,000 BTUs
EPA Certified: 2.1 gph
Efficiency: 80% LHV
Burn time: Up to 12 hours
HeatLife: Up to 14 hours
Maximum Log Length: 24 in.

I need to heat around 2000 sq.ft. Are there any better stoves out there that may be beneficial? Possibly a catalyst type pedestal stove which will help cut down the creosote as well? I am also not thrilled with the soapstone pitch since I can't even get 6 hours of heat out of it.

Sorry for the long winded post!

Attachments

• IMG_9513.JPG
    IMG_9513.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 127
5 hrs sounds about right. 3 logs are not going to last that long. I only do a 3 log fire in mild weather. For an overnight fire in winter I typically will be loading about 9 logs if I can fit them around 10-11pm. That will leave me coals for a restart around 8-9am.

5 hrs sounds about right. 3 logs are not going to last that long. I only do a 3 log fire in mild weather. For an overnight fire in winter I typically will be loading about 9 logs if I can fit them around 10-11pm. That will leave me coals for a restart around 8-9am.

Thanks for the response. Have you ever had a problem loading it too much? I worry about a stovepipe fire when it’s loaded touching the top baffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early on I did, but since then I have become very familiar with the stove and changed my technique so that overfire is not an issue. The key changes were to load thick splits, dense pack the stove and close down the air as soon as possible without causing smoldering. Experiment during the daytime to gain confidence.

Reactions: Autorotate
I owned a Manchester, then a Mansfield which I both absolutely loved. Later, kicking and screaming I was forced into a Progress Hybrid. Now, I'd never go back. Creosote from the Progress is way less since the cat destroys it before it goes up the flue, and gives the lack of it back to me to cook my chili.

Appreciate the input. I may try to do the load up as you said during the day to gain a little confidence. After having a stovepipe fire in the beginning, it terrifies me. However, I have been on this catalyst kick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your stove is burning well seasoned wood and properly run, the likelihood of a stovepipe fire is low. It's a clean burning stove. It the wood is not well seasoned then the answer is to clean the pipes more frequently.

I owned a Manchester, then a Mansfield which I both absolutely loved. Later, kicking and screaming I was forced into a Progress Hybrid. Now, I'd never go back. Creosote from the Progress is way less since the cat destroys it before it goes up the flue, and gives the lack of it back to me to cook my chili.

Really liking the info on the Progress Hybrid. And a nice look as well with the side door. What made you end up going with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditch the creosote cleaner. No need for it. Non cats usually send so much heat up the flue they stay pretty clean if your wood is dry. Hearthstones in particular. I had one.

Pack the stove with wood, let it all ignite and get a good char, then slowly close your air supply. The primary flames will go out and you will see the secondaries above start. You should be good for 6-8 then.

My hearthstone didn't put out the heat unless the wood was dry. For oak that at least 2 years split, stacked and top covered in a breezy sunny spot.

Almost forgot, don't know anything about your setup, but mine needed a key damper to slow the draft or she would just fly through the wood and send it up the flue.

Dont be scared of it. Ditch that creosote destroyer crap and burn full loads of dry wood. The Manchester is a fine stove! Dont go thinking you need a cat stove when you havent even given this one a fair shake. People that are scared of the stove are most likely to have a flue fire, because they run cool flue temps since they are scared of it. These stoves burn super clean when operated properly.