ED 3000 Posted By ED 3000, Jul 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM

1. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I've been waffling around unsuccessfully for years, finally broke down and bought it. Some learning curve, and slow. But, went from sawdust to long curls on the first try. GREAT PRODUCT!

D8Chumley and Lone_Gun like this.
  2. DodgyNomad

DodgyNomad
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    Nice when you get 'em right. Stihl 2 in 1 easy file for me these days.

Sean McGillicuddy and ED 3000 like this.
  3. redktmrider

redktmrider
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 21, 2012
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    I just bought one myself, made sharpening easy. I have yet to try out the chain I sharpened, so we will see if it works well.

ED 3000 likes this.
  4. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    The Granberg has a bit of a learning curve to get right, but it does a great job once you figure it out.

I compromise on the speed by hand sharpening a couple times, then fixing my mistakes with the Granberg.

5. Catfish Hunter

Catfish Hunter
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 14, 2016
    Loc:
    Western Wisconsin
    I think the file n joint is awesome. I used the one page instructions and had it rocking in no time. I sharpened a chain that I had touched up by hand probably 10 times and i couldn't believe how well the granberg did. The one issue is the sliding shaft and bushings so I am going to "upgrade" the bushings and maybe swap out the shaft to reduce binding and friction. I will post an update when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ED 3000 likes this.
  6. salecker

salecker
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern Canada
    Have a close look at the chain after you have it sharp with the file an joint.Notice the angles on the cutting edges and how deep the gullet is.Then try to duplicate it by hand.
    Sharpening chain to cut wood is fairly simple once you know where the cutting edges are and how the tooth should look.Once you get the hang of it hand filing,it is way faster than using any sharpening tools other than the dremel type.
    And don't forget the rakers i don't think the file and joint addresses them

ED 3000 and Lone_Gun like this.
  7. jetsam

jetsam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2015
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    It does but you have to reconfigure the jig and go all the way around the chain again. That's one reason it's so slow!

It's also easy to get wrong until you figure out some of the personality features of the jig (file cut depth is the same way).

One tip off the top of my head: when doing rakers, if you're using a triangular file as suggested in the manual, note that triangular files taper in depth across the whole length of the file, and the Granberg does not account for this. I put the biggest end of the file on top of the tooth, set the cut depth to .025, and just file with the very end of the file. (You can do this at any point on the file if you use the part you set the cut depth to).

8. DodgyNomad

DodgyNomad
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    I almost bought one years ago, as they've always been well respected. I passed because of how they look a little fussy and tedious on setup, etc..

I can't tell you how nice the Stihl (Pferd) 2 in 1 file is for my needs, and hits the rakers all at the same time. I've never used anything better, and it's fast.

9. WoodyIsGoody

WoodyIsGoody
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2017
    Loc:
    PNW
    That simple little tool get great reviews. I think I might try it.

10. Jazzberry

Jazzberry
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2014
    Loc:
    Next to Yosemite
    I bought one based on everyones reviews. Tried it one time and went back to my Dremel with a diamond bit. For me its an easy choice for the Dremel with a good diamond bit.

11. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I eagerly await your post! I love it when creative, ambitious types like yourself make incremental improvements on already good products. Maybe you can sell an aftermarket kit once you figure it out...

12. Catfish Hunter

Catfish Hunter
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 14, 2016
    Loc:
    Western Wisconsin
    Just touched up the stihl RS with the granberg and man is that impressively sharp! Love this little tool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I got some diamond bits last year for my dremel-tool, but was doubtful that I could get the angles right. I'll eventually figure out how to set it up so I can keep the angles consistent. I was not even close with the freehand filing. I do believe that will be a better, faster setup compared to the file-n-joint, but I might as well do it in the dark with how well I do it freehand!