Shaved bark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Might not be the right place to ask this, but I will anyway, and hope somebody can point me in the right direction. I was able to get about a cord of mixed hardwood that has been laying for two years and stacked and delivered into my garage (spare garage). I have been drying it out with of propane torpedo heater. The bark is starting to separate and when it does, I shave it off with a hatchet to help in the drying process. My question is, since I have several boxes full of this bark, is there a good use for it around the yard? I will use some in my fire pit (once I get it built) and some of the larger pcs's to help start a fire in the insert.

Any ideas/suggestion would be appreciated.

I only use one or two large pcs of bark to help start a fire in the insert. The rest would be used in the fire pit outside just to get rid of it. I have 1 1/2 acres in the country surrounded by 20 acres owned by my niece. smoke is no problem. I was just thinking that maybe it would make some good mulch or something.

Do you have a chipper?
A good investment, chip bark and twigs and spread on trails or walk paths. Or mulch for landscape.
I have a DR chipper leaf vac, its slow but it eventually gets things done. It chips into a bagger or mulches leaves into the bagger.
Chipping helps eliminate bugs as well. Be aware that adding this stuff to the ground will change soil pH.
Even low end chippers are pricey, though, maybe just burn the bark with the wood.

Good carbon source if you compost.

Sometimes I layer it in garden walkways. It will absorb nitrogen though so I wouldn't use it between plant rows until it breaks down a bit.

Reactions: Chris Hoskin
Might not be the right place to ask this, but I will anyway, and hope somebody can point me in the right direction. I was able to get about a cord of mixed hardwood that has been laying for two years and stacked and delivered into my garage (spare garage). I have been drying it out with of propane torpedo heater. The bark is starting to separate and when it does, I shave it off with a hatchet to help in the drying process. My question is, since I have several boxes full of this bark, is there a good use for it around the yard? I will use some in my fire pit (once I get it built) and some of the larger pcs's to help start a fire in the insert.

Any ideas/suggestion would be appreciated.
If it was still on the dry log what would you do ?

bark = wood... burn it. can't really think of a better use for hardwood bark. i have like 3-4 cords of saw mill scraps (lots of bark). it burns great besides a little extra ash, but whatever.

Reactions: English BoB
Use it to start fires, burn as you put wood in the stove and or save for the end of burning season when just need a small fire to get the chill out. Wood/bark is btu's I say burn it. You might have a little extra ash but it's heat.

This is good info. I don't look to separate it but if it falls off I usually throw it in the big mulch beds around the deck, or off into the woods. Now I will set it aside for some BTUs

Status
Not open for further replies.