Sheet metal over existing tile surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yprochnik

Jan 29, 2021
NY
Hi! I have read a lot on this forum, this is my first post.

I am renovating a house with a Wood stove and would like to update the surround. Currently there is a tile covered surround behind the stove, extending 3.5" off the wall. I would like to cover this surround with black sheet metal. The easiest way to go would be to fix it directly to the tile surface and then re trim it out with wood.

I understand that a proper metal heat shield has a 1" standoff for air circulation, however since this would be fixed to a non combustible surface (the tile) could this cause any problems? At the closest point, the back corner of the stove is probably 8" from the tile. I took off one side trim board and the layers are : tile, 1/2" cement board, 1/2" sheet rock a wood stud on its side and then the original wall sheet rock.

I could also demo the whole existing shield, repair the wall behind and do a regular metal shield with 1" standoff. This would obviously be more work and I couldn't trim out the edges because it would block circulation. Attached is a pic.

Looking forward to feedback!

20210127_094753.jpg

Given the state of disassembly in the room I would be tempted to tear it out and replace it properly. What is the reason for adding the metal wall shield on standoffs? Is that a Country stove? Are the clearances currently being properly honored to the nearest combustibles (the sheetrock) behind the tile or is the stove currently too close to the walls?

Hi, thanks for your response! I am leaning towards tearing it all out as well. The stove is a country stove. I doubt tolerances are being met since maybe 10" max from back corner of stove to the sheetrock that is beneath the tile and cement board. I'm also not sure if the wood studs that I saw on the edge continue through out the surround or are just to close in the edges

It may be proper. If that is the Striker S160 then the corner clearance for single-wall stovepipe is 9.75". That drops down to 5.5" for double-wall.

Thanks for the information, I will be over there tomorrow to check exact model and clearances. Basically if I understand correctly, if the original surround and clearances are correct, covering the tile with sheet metal shouldn't pose any problems? The metal is just for aesthetic purposes, will be blackened/patinaed