sheetrock and stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkf5

Nov 22, 2008
Central Upstate New York
I have just put up some new sheetrock behind the wall that the chimney is on. I just went straight into the existing chimney. At an angle though not dead on. How far should the stovepipe be from the sheetrock? Right now the sheetrock is about 2 inches cut away from the stovepipe where it enters into the chimney. Mike

I am trying to picture what you are trying to explain here without any luck. I read it a few times and cannot understand. Maybe a picture will work. More details like is it single, double, triple wall pipe.I do believe that the paper on the sheetrock is combustible material and needs to be treated as such.

What kind of stove pipe? Single wall needs to be 18" from the sheetrock as sheetrock is combustible. Need to know what kind of pipe you are talking about.

As far as I know....2" is TOO CLOSE for any Clearance to Combustibles. I could be mistaken though. Check your manual for the stove AND pipe. It'll tell ya.

Sheetrock is combustible (though I've tried to burn it with terrible results, it is easier to burn dirt) and so the clearance requirements between the pipe and the face of the sheetrock are as follows: Single wall is 18", double wall is 6" with a sticker stating this, and class A will be 2". These are measured perpendicular to the pipe so when you actually get to the ceiling the clearance can be 2" IF the transition to class A happens before the penetration which is the reason for those ceiling support boxes that hang slightly down into the room.

Highbeam said:
Sheetrock is combustible (though I've tried to burn it with terrible results, it is easier to burn dirt) and so the clearance requirements between the pipe and the face of the sheetrock are as follows: Single wall is 18", double wall is 6" with a sticker stating this, and class A will be 2". These are measured perpendicular to the pipe so when you actually get to the ceiling the clearance can be 2" IF the transition to class A happens before the penetration which is the reason for those ceiling support boxes that hang slightly down into the room.

Thanks for straightening me out Highbeam.

I went through a similar problem with sheetrock being too close. Here's the complete thread if you want to take a look but I'll drop the pics here so you can see the before (problem) after (solution).

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30025/P0/

pen

woodrack.jpg

(mortar still drying, looks better now)
thimble008.jpg

Jags said:
Highbeam said:

Thanks for straightening me out Highbeam.

I prefer to think of it as adding to your post. The only reason that I am so confident about the 2" is that my installer only gave me 1-1/4" between the class A in my attic and the wooden truss. Not cool so I cut a 2" block of wood and told him to make the pipe plumb and to provide enough clearance for me to slip the block through. I fought pretty hard to get the 2" and the inspector never even looked in the attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.