Shelter sf1000 flc and duct blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ronbestsf1000

Jan 29, 2019
Michigan
I have a shelter sf1000. Tonight got real hot top of fire box door was red hot. My duct blower will only run for 10 seconds to a minute then shut off periodically. House struggles to get to 70 degrees which is not right. Fire box is definitely getting hot enough to where I cant even put my face in front of it. I’m new to this. Right now I have a wood burning and propane running and as some of you may know that’s eating the wallet. Why is my duct blower not running the adequate amount of time to heat my house when firebox is hot enough?

Attachments

• 493B47E0-6245-4B9A-8F6D-5CB45E34ED8A.jpeg
    493B47E0-6245-4B9A-8F6D-5CB45E34ED8A.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 370
I have a shelter sf1000. Tonight got real hot top of fire box door was red hot. My duct blower will only run for 10 seconds to a minute then shut off periodically. House struggles to get to 70 degrees which is not right. Fire box is definitely getting hot enough to where I cant even put my face in front of it. I’m new to this. Right now I have a wood burning and propane running and as some of you may know that’s eating the wallet. Why is my duct blower not running the adequate amount of time to heat my house when firebox is hot enough?

I have that same problem when I overload mine with ash, elm, or any other wood that puts off a lot of heat quick. Are you able to monitor your flue temps? I will turn the blower on continuously when I see 450 or over flue temps and let it run down to around 350. The other thing I’ll donis mix the load with oak or locust to temper that really hot burn.

The thermostat is in the back of the cabinet and the hottest part is in the front. Never understood their reasoning for that. But, then again i don’t understand their reasoning for 99% of this stove. Just waiting for the cash in hand this spring to replace it.

Reactions: sloeffle
Why is my duct blower not running the adequate amount of time to heat my house when firebox is hot enough?
I would say that the switch controlling it has an issue, but these FC1000s have so many issues I'm not confident there is a switch problem...not much help I know...maybe try tapping the switch, see what it does. Those "snap switches" can be glitchy sometimes. I even had problems with the low limit snap switch on my Kuuma...and then the replacement one too. I put a Honeywell fan control/limit switch in to replace it then, problem solved.
But I doubt you have the room to do that on the FC1000...

I would say that the switch controlling it has an issue, but these FC1000s have so many issues I'm not confident there is a switch problem...not much help I know...maybe try tapping the switch, see what it does. Those "snap switches" can be glitchy sometimes. I even had problems with the low limit snap switch on my Kuuma...and then the replacement one too. I put a Honeywell fan control/limit switch in to replace it then, problem solved.
But I doubt you have the room to do that on the FC1000...

They have a honeywell from the factory.

9424406E-156D-497D-BBAD-C198F57F6F6F.jpeg

Really surprised but it’s keeping up today. -18, -48 windchill. Hoping this little bit will get me to the south facing window solar action.

4CF0421D-738B-4AE5-92E2-0F8D75AD7F98.jpeg

I have that same problem when I overload mine with ash, elm, or any other wood that puts off a lot of heat quick. Are you able to monitor your flue temps? I will turn the blower on continuously when I see 450 or over flue temps and let it run down to around 350. The other thing I’ll donis mix the load with oak or locust to temper that really hot burn.

The thermostat is in the back of the cabinet and the hottest part is in the front. Never understood their reasoning for that. But, then again i don’t understand their reasoning for 99% of this stove. Just waiting for the cash in hand this spring to replace it.

Did yours ever get red hot by the fire box door?

I also had the red glow and it is scary to see in person. I now have the FC1500 and the same “can” happen, but it is above the door.

IMG_0393.jpg

Any back puffing?

Any updates?