Short Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Albru2

Jan 15, 2024
Santa Cruz, CA
Hello, new member, first time post! Hoping some of the resident experts here can help me plan for a wood stove install. I recently bought a used Jotul F400. My plan is to install it in the existing masonry fireplace. I bought the house recently and tried the fire place a couple of times and found it didn't draw well up to and after the fire was nice and hot. I had the chimney cleaned and inspected. He deemed it structurally sound but in need of some mortar replacement, which I plan on doing myself. From what I've read so far it's not an ideal chimney by any means: exterior and only about 10' 8" from the top of the fireplace opening to the top of the flue. I'd like to install the Jotul in the fireplace and get it to draw well. Wondering if I used a rigid liner could I extend it up past the last chimney tile to get to what I understand is the minimum ideal height of 15'? It would look pretty dumb but seems like my best chance at getting the height I need. I live in central CA and it rarely if ever gets below freezing so this is for occasional use and a general love of chainsaws, chopping wood, flames and the whole experience more than anything. It's a 700 sq ft house so I'll probably have to open the windows if I ever get the Jotul in and working! And yes I plan on moving all the flammables and electronics from above the hearth :) Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jotul.jpeg Chimney.jpeg

Will the stove be top vented? That will be the best. The F400 is a good stove, but it needs decent draft. has a shallow firebox and a large door which will lead to smoke spillage if the draft is inadequate. The chimney will need an extension of at least 4'. This can be done with masonry or by bolting an anchor plate on top of the chimney and attaching a 4' length of stainess chimney pipe.

Will the stove be top vented? That will be the best. The F400 is a good stove, but it needs decent draft. has a shallow firebox and a large door which will lead to smoke spillage if the draft is inadequate. The chimney will need an extension of at least 4'. This can be done with masonry or by bolting an anchor plate on top of the chimney and attaching a 4' length of stainess chimney pipe.

Yes I was planning on top venting it. That is good information to have about the F400 thank you! Do you know of any particular part numbers for the anchor plate or would that be a custom fabricated piece? Would a 4' piece of pipe need additional support or bracing to the roof?

The part numbers will depend on the brand of chimney pipe. Ventis, Selkirk, and DuraTech all make them.

Please check out our website if you're in need of chimney vent pipe. We would be glad to assist you with your installation. Please use our contact page and one of our techs would be glad to help. We carry DuraVent DuraTech products and love them. We will make sure to give you the best deal online. If you can find a better price we will match it or beat it.