Shortening legs to fit flue under lintel...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Profmom

Dec 21, 2016
USA
A quick question for you stove gurus. We have a soapstone stove that we are venting out the fireplace. It will sit in front of the fireplace opening. Unfortunately, the opening is about 1.75" to low for the pipe to come straight out the back. We had thought that it would simply be a matter of having a mason come out and raise the fireplace lintel by one row of bricks. However, due to the way this old house was built, we can't do that as it would compromise the integrity of the fireplace.

I have been floating around listening to the wisdom on these forums for a while now. You all have helped me choose the right stove and learn many tips and tricks to using it. I am hoping you can help me now.

I have seen it posted that many here have "shortened the legs". But, I can't seem to find a post detailing exactly how you did that. We can jack up the stove and take leg by leg off to saw them, dh is very handy and has pretty much every saw known to man. Any thoughts or been there, done that advice? Do we need to worry about cracking? Best blade to use?

The design of the leg is such that, if we cut off about 1.75", it will look like it was supposed to be that way.

We have more than enough clearance according to the tech specs on the stove.

Thanks I need advance:)

A "few" have shortened the legs. This may be ok if the stove is in the fireplace itself, but can be risky on the hearth. Lowering the bottom of the stove brings it closer to the hearth. That can mean more heat protection is required. This is why there is a large increase in hearth insulation required for the Hearthstone Homestead with the short leg kit. What stove are you considering. Is lowering the hearth an option?

A "few" have shortened the legs. This may be ok if the stove is in the fireplace itself, but can be risky on the hearth. Lowering the bottom of the stove brings it closer to the hearth. That can mean more heat protection is required. This is why there is a large increase in hearth insulation required for the Hearthstone Homestead with the short leg kit. What stove are you considering. Is lowering the hearth an option?
It is the Woodstock Progress Hybrid. We have the 10" legs/ash pan. I know we could have them send us the 5" legs, but then no ash pan. Plus, the 10" legs have the aesthetic we wanted. The ash pan also has a heat shield. The hearth is tile on cement board level with the floor (our hearth is not raised so lowering would not be an option.) So even with a "trim", it would not be low to the ground. Does that help paint the picture a bit better?

If you want to keep your installation safe, warranteed and insurable, shortening the legs can not be done in this case without Woodstock okaying it. If they do I would get that in writing. Otherwise you need to follow their tested requirements. When in contact with them ask if the flue collar can be flipped to lower it.

If you want to keep your installation safe, warranteed and insurable, shortening the legs can not be done in this case without Woodstock okaying it. If they do I would get that in writing. Otherwise you need to follow their tested requirements. When in contact with them ask if the flue collar can be flipped to lower it.
I will ask them, thanks for the suggestion:)

It appears that both the long and short legs have the same r-value requirements but the clearances are different. I would give them a call but logic would say that if you took 2" off a leg you are still higher than the short leg kit. As long as you built the hearth to the shorter leg specs I would think you'd be fine. I would call them though as maybe having the ash pan lowered 2" is not a good thing?

Give them a call. If there's a way to make it work they will know.

It appears that both the long and short legs have the same r-value requirements but the clearances are different. I would give them a call but logic would say that if you took 2" off a leg you are still higher than the short leg kit. As long as you built the hearth to the shorter leg specs I would think you'd be fine. I would call them though as maybe having the ash pan lowered 2" is not a good thing?

This is what we were thinking too. The ash pan was a question mark too.

Give them a call. If there's a way to make it work they will know.

I will try to give them a call. This has been a big pain. It seemed like such an easy setup. Dropping the liner, etc is no problem, inspection/cleaning is done. But finding out that the masonry thing wouldn't work was a blow. Too bad Woodstock doesn't make 8" legs for the PH, lol.

I had the same problem so I ditched the ash pan and went with the short legs. Do wish I had the ash pan sometimes though. There is a way to lower it by switching the flue, not sure if it's enough to get you there

Yes, I recall a flue reversal but I thought it was for an Ideal Steel. Not sure if it's possible on the Progress. Woodstock will know.

I am getting in touch with Woodstock. I think the wise choice will be to go to the 5" legs. I do not want to void the warranty or take a chance on insurance issues. Thanks for the feedback.

I am wondering if it might be possible to put the legs on 3" fireproof blocks and still utilize the ash pan?

I ditched the ash pan and went with the short legs. Do wish I had the ash pan sometimes though
I have had several stoves with ash pans...I used one once...it was such a PITA that I never used it again, it is easier to just dig the ash out and be done with it.
Pull the ash plug out and chase ashes down the little hole, uh...no.
Now if this stove has a grate, then that is probably much easier to use...I'm not familiar with this model stove at all. Just putting in my 2 cents on ash pans.

I am getting in touch with Woodstock. I think the wise choice will be to go to the 5" legs. I do not want to void the warranty or take a chance on insurance issues. Thanks for the feedback.

I am wondering if it might be possible to put the legs on 3" fireproof blocks and still utilize the ash pan?
I would think that would be just fine. As long as its sturdy! And you don't mind the look.

I'll second the dislike for ash pans. I have 3 stoves, 2 have ash pans and I don't use either of them. Just easier to scoop out my ash.

I have never (as in, "not once") used the ash pan on my Shelburne. Ashes drifting all over the room as you're trying stir them down through the grate (!!!). I just use a small shovel...three or four scoops and they're in the ash bucket.

The PH has a grate but you guys are making me feel better about foregoing the ashpan.

The ashpans designed by Woodstock are first rate. I ran the Progress without one for a couple years and then added it - wow it's a pleasure. It significantly cuts down on dust in the house and speeds up the whole process of reloading and firing up the stove. I also have the ashpan in the Palladian and it works just as good. I actually sold a Fireview since it did not have an ashpan and replaced it with the Palladian - that's how good WS ashpans are. I don't remember a single thread where someone did not love a WS ashpan system.

But in the OP's case he may have to run without it to get the shorter legs. The only option I can think of is to use the top-vent and attach to a thimble.I would think that is even less work than raising the lintel, which was originally being considered.

Last edited:
All ash pans are not created equal . . . some folks hate the ones with their stoves, other folks love them. Put me in the "love it" category when it comes to my stove.

Ours makes a nice bun warmer.

Reactions: bcrtops
Fwiiw I have the WPH with ashpan... I can remove the ashes without spilling any.. It's a big improvement on my old jotul that had no pan

Status
Not open for further replies.