shorter legs for a jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1970

Apr 14, 2007
I need 1/2 inch shorter legs for my 602. I called some local dealers and they said they don't make them. Has anyone seen or heard of shorter legs that will fit a jotul 602?

What is the length of the legs on that 602? Jotuls manual does not say.

I have some eight inch and six and a quarter inch (150mm short leg) kits for the Jotul F3 series stoves in stock. Which I believe are the same mount as yours. That is more than a half inch but shorter than what ya got.

Take a look at an F3's legs at a dealerto see if they mount the same and send me a PM.

Matt, just curious, why the shorter legs?

If the 2" shorter legs work for you, that's great. But you may want to boost the hearth protection a bit. The 602 can get plenty warm at times. If you already have a well protected hearth, you should be all set.

I'd use a grinder or a hacksaw (cut saw), but perhaps your legs are enameled which can be tougher. I do think that the other legs are the exact same....this is from memory. I assume you are trying to fit an existing hole in the wall or get in under a fireplace opening or similar. In my opinion, 1/2" should not make any difference on the floor protection, but any more than that you should make certain your hearth is decent. If it is a thick masonry fireplace hearth, that should be A-OK (but NOT a prefab metal fireplace hearth).

Those tall legs are well above NFPA guidelines, and I suspect a lot of the reason is just to get the stove up to a more comfortable loading height.

Webmaster said:
Those tall legs are well above NFPA guidelines, and I suspect a lot of the reason is just to get the stove up to a more comfortable loading height.

I bet you are right. The F100 comes standard with the short legs and you darn near have to lay on your stomach to load it. In fact I might just swap him the F100's legs for those long tall suckers on his 602.

My 30-NC is on six inch legs but it sits up on an elevated hearth so loading isn't such a pain.

I am trying to get the stove to fit into a fireplace opening. The stove is 1/4 of an inch to high. What size pipe does the 602 use is it 5 inch or 6 inch?

It should be six inch. If not use a five to six increaser. Here is the manual for the latest model, the F602 CB.

http://tinyurl.com/2zq9x3

If that thing is a quarter inch taller than the lintel in the fireplace you are going to need more than a half inch drop. 1/4" of working room is not going to be enough for you to work with connecting a liner. Believe me on that one. Three inches of room gave me a lot of grief. And skinned knuckles. You have to have room to work with your block-off plate while you connect the pipe.

If that fireplace is a lot wider than the stove you might manage it but it still won't be any fun.

PS: What is the finish on that stove? Flat black or blue/black enamel?

BeGreen said:

If the 2" shorter legs work for you, that's great. But you may want to boost the hearth protection a bit. The 602 can get plenty warm at times. If you already have a well protected hearth, you should be all set.

begreen has a point , jotul's do a great job radiating, make sure that they are rated with shorter legs as well to satisfy code. dealer should be able to provide info on that. its a nice unit by the way a friend of mine has one and is very pleased with its look and function.

stoveguy2esw said:
BeGreen said:

begreen has a point , jotul's do a great job radiating, make sure that they are rated with shorter legs as well to satisfy code. dealer should be able to provide info on that. its a nice unit by the way a friend of mine has one and is very pleased with its look and function.

Hard to imagine better radiation clearances than the floor of that firebox. Kinda hard for a stove sitting six inches or more above it to radiate more heat down than those logs burning just sitting on the firebox floor or a Wal-Mart grate. ;-)

He isn't going to find any Jotul rating with shorter legs since they don't sell them so they wouldn't have had any reason to test them or publish clearances for them. But all of the F3 wood and gas stoves and the F100 wood and gas all have the option for the shorter six inch legs which are effectively three inches shorter than the standard legs on the stoves.

Agreed, and if in a fireplace, it's probably not an issue. My posting was just cautionary, not knowing where the stove was going.

The stove finish is green enamel. I burned wood for 10 years and I used a Jotul 118 knock off. My father bought the stove in the early seventys. He said jotuls were hard to get and very expensive. I think he said the 118 knock off was made in Ireland. Anyway I didn't think about a liner if I use a liner I will need the shortest legs I can get. My last stove was piped into the chimney with either 5 or 6 inch pipe without a flexible liner, so I dont know very much about them.

You'll find lots of info about chimney liners here on the forum (do some searching) as well as elsewhere on the net. The short and sweet of it is that most chimneys require liners for safe and proper operation - and it make cleaning much easier also. The draft will be better, and you will also have less problems with smell and creosote, etc.

Hey Guys,

I'm curious.. Did you ever find out if the shorter legs will fit the stove? I've got a similar situation.. I'd need the F602 to be about 2-3" shorter to fit my firebox. Width is no issue..

Thanks!
Scott

I actually found that jotul dealers sell 6 and 4 inch legs for the f3 stoves. The legs may be interchangeable but I haven't taken off one of the 602 legs to match it up yet. When i do I will let you know if they are the same.

mattg1970 said:
I actually found that jotul dealers sell 6 and 4 inch legs for the f3 stoves. The legs may be interchangeable but I haven't taken off one of the 602 legs to match it up yet. When i do I will let you know if they are the same.

The six inch legs are the short leg kit for the F3. I would be real interested to see them come up with a part number for four inch legs for it since the ash pan would be on the floor with four inch legs. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.