Should horizontal exhaust be pitched?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. Just curious if this. We have a pellet stove that was installed in the house 10 years ago, long before we purchased it.

Got it working last year and it runs great!

I randomly noticed today that the horizontal exhaust vent coming through a thimble in the wall is actually slightly pitched upward.

Is that normal and okay?

Part of me thought it should be pitched downward incase of any moisture or condensation. But then I realized many pellet stoves exhaust straight up, so I guess that isn't an issue? Maybe the pitch upward helps draft?

Thanks for the input!

I would not say it's normal, but as long as the vent is properly attached and sealed to the stove and all joints it should not be a problem.

A slight up in the vent is desirable.
Gives some natural draft in case of a power outage

Reactions: Tech Guru
Thanks guys for the info.

Good to know slight upward pitch is desirable as that's what I've got going on! Thanks