Should I be worried?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
I've been running 24/7 for a couple of days now, no real issues. Tonight I packed the stove nice and full for an overnight burn. The magnetic thermometer is now reading about 550F, right near the "overfire" range on the thermometer. I have the air intake lever down to its lowest setting. It still seems like the temp below that overfire line, but should I stay up and watch this thing cool down a bit, or hit the sack? Advice from anyone awake?

PS - reason that I ask is that I typically run this at about 450F or so, so this is hottest its run yet....

Id say you have miles of room to go. The thermo scale your reading is for stack temps not stove temps. Since this is an insert I know you are giving a stove temp. ;-) Hope hogz will chime in as he is the PE guru.

HAHA. Thanks Chettt. I know that I should probably take your advice, since gotta get the little ones ready early for school, but I'll still probably sit and stare at that stupid needle until I see it going down. But, I was looking for some comfort that my house wasn't about to explode, and you gave me that. Thanks!

north of 60 said:
Since this is an insert I know you are giving a stove temp. ;-) .

I have one way of giving a temp, and that is from the magnetic Rutland above the door on the insert. I presume that would be stove temp, no? Thanks for the post.

chutes said:
north of 60 said:
Since this is an insert I know you are giving a stove temp. ;-) .

I have one way of giving a temp, and that is from the magnetic Rutland above the door on the insert. I presume that would be stove temp, no? Thanks for the post.

Yes you are right. I think the scale/overfire reading on your thermo is related to stack temp as this is were they are usually located.
I also have mine on my stove. I think Hogwildz a member here hits 750 - 800f. He does live next to a nuke plant though. :p
[ EDITED for Hogs spelling]

Attachments

• High burn before shut down.jpg
    High burn before shut down.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 452
  • low burn cat not glowing.jpg
    low burn cat not glowing.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 440
Packed full and a blazing, mine will creep up to 700-750, then level off, in about an hour or so shes cruises down to 600-650 for most of the burn, then the slow decline downward.
At 300-400 load her up again, about 8 hrs or so, then repeat.
These thermometers are not set up for stove top or insert fronts. Ignore the colored areas and just use the temp readings as reference,
If you run the majority of 600-650 your fine.
I didn't know do adjust my door, and the first few nights I had the thermo pegged.
No damage done and shes still working great at the usuall 600-650.
I like the way she spikes to 700ish that gives a quick warm up, then she settles down at 600-650 for a nice long steady heating.
I crank the air all the way to low anywhere at 450ish to 550ish depending on how cold it is out and how well I am paying attention.
You have to be really inattentive or try real hard to over fire that stove.

Thanks for all the responses.

Based upon the feedback, is it accurate to say that the post I made that started this thread - "should I be worried" - should more accurately be labeled "I finally found out how to use my stove"?

It seems to me, based on feedback, that given I am using my thermo on the insert itself, I should pack full, open air till everything is charred, let it go ahead and zoom up to 550F or even 600F based on location of my thermometer, then turn intake to low and learn to relax.

I think that I was partially shocked to see it zoom up to that number right before bed time. Think I'll try to repeat that during the day today so that I get comfortable with stove running up there. Maybe I'll even see a degree or two increase in the house :)

Thanks

Same stove here, 550 is on the cool side, no need to worry, first time I hit 750 scared me a bit but man was she throwing the heat! Expect a little stink as you hit all time highs with temps and paint curing. What type of wood ya burning? With my red oak i get her to 300-350, cut to half air and then at 450+- shut her down almost all the way, if secondaries look good there for 5 minutes or so then all the way down and let her cruise.

I'm also burning red oak, mixed in with aspen, ash and maple.

I was actually going to ask this question yesterday, but it seemed so stupid. Late last night, my house smelled like tacos (probably more accurately, like corn tortillas). Now, I did have the acrid smell when I did the break in burns, but last night even my 8 year old came downstairs and said "are we having tacos for dinner?" I'm regretting typing this even now, because it probably sounds so ridiculous, but the smell was no doubt coming from the stove, and though not particularly "acrid" like the first break-ins, it was a new smell and I'm guessing that it was because my stove had reached some new temperatures.

Hogwildz said:
I didn't know do adjust my door, and the first few nights I had the thermo pegged.

Back then I think your motto was "If it ain't glowin it ain't goin." :coolgrin:

My only heat 30 years ago was a wood stove, and I had some sort of device on the tubing that went into the chimney, when the heat got to hot, it would sound an alarm. The pipe would get glowing red, so I got the alarm, until I finally figured out how to use the stove. If those are still available, would be a great piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.