should i burn corn or pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike in ct

Sep 18, 2008
nw ct
hi all,
new here. just picked up a nesco model 2100 freestanding corn stove . the guy i got it from was burning pellets in it. i found at the website for it that they sell an adapter (additional exhaust blower) that mounts on back of stove so you can burn pellets safely. what will happen if i just burn as it is? it says not to, but this guy was? i'm guessing pellets burn dirtier, more ash, ect, thus the additional blower. i heard "corn is expensive due to it use in ethenol" but from what i have found here in ct , it's actually cheaper, and available. pellets on the other hand are scarce, and going up in price. than there is the whole issue of the difference in burning the 2 fuels, ie, which is hotter cleaner, ect... so i was hoping i could get some feedback from owners who have burned both. pros and cons sort of thing. - thanks - mike

mike in ct said:
hi all,
new here. just picked up a nesco model 2100 freestanding corn stove . the guy i got it from was burning pellets in it. i found at the website for it that they sell an adapter (additional exhaust blower) that mounts on back of stove so you can burn pellets safely. what will happen if i just burn as it is? it says not to, but this guy was? i'm guessing pellets burn dirtier, more ash, ect, thus the additional blower. i heard "corn is expensive due to it use in ethenol" but from what i have found here in ct , it's actually cheaper, and available. pellets on the other hand are scarce, and going up in price. than there is the whole issue of the difference in burning the 2 fuels, ie, which is hotter cleaner, ect... so i was hoping i could get some feedback from owners who have burned both. pros and cons sort of thing. - thanks - mike

I have never burned corn (or much pellet fuel either, for that matter), but based upon what stove you have (corn), and you stated that you can get corn easier and cheaper than wood pellets, why even think about it? From what i have read, i think pellets actually burn cleaner, but in your case, it's a moot point.....it's a corn stove, so burn corn!

well that was my knee jerk reaction when i saw it, but i'm one who over time has come to ask alot of opinions on a subject and draw conclusions from that. ie, i heard 1 person say corn burns hotter and cleaner out the pipe. i figure if i have 8 people pushing me 1 way and 3 or 4 another, well you see where i'm going. i guess being new to these stoves, and seeing all the new stoves being "multi fuel " stoves due to the up and down of different markets , i want to make an informed decision on what i'm going to do with it . as far as the corn being "cheaper and easier to get" that is a plus, but it's not that much cheaper so if alot of folks tell me negitive aspects of burning it, i could be swayed the other way

Status
Not open for further replies.