Should I fire the oil heat? Hear me out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I share your frustration with CT. We have said we'd never leave the area, but are now considering moving to a state more friendly to people who actually work for a living and don't want to be punished for it.

I'm with both of you... never thought I'd leave but I've been telling my wife we can't retire here. It's expensive when we're working and it won't get any better when we retire.

yup. it's getting to be rediculous. my town is raising the mil rate AGAIN on top of it all because everyone is leaving. it's just a matter of time.... i don't want to be the last rat.

Mil rates going up because the state is in the red and part of their plan to fix the deficit is to cut the aid to the municipalities (which means the munies just pass it on to us rather than cut budgets).

Hang in there...

If i am reading right, this unit will pull the water from your baseboard heat pipes if it is hot enough. If thats the case this is a bad idea , The water in your heating pipes should never really get replaced. The water neutralizes over time of it being in the pipes. thats why you do not see as many heating pipes that leak and more hot water pipes that leak.

Also, Heating with oil is expensive no matter how you do it .

Never have you oil company tune your system. They want you to use more heat .

Yes, you are using more heat if you turn your heat on while taking a shower.

If i am reading right, this unit will pull the water from your baseboard heat pipes if it is hot enough. If thats the case this is a bad idea , The water in your heating pipes should never really get replaced. The water neutralizes over time of it being in the pipes. thats why you do not see as many heating pipes that leak and more hot water pipes that leak.

the water has to circulate from the boiler through the pipes in the baseboard, thats how they get hot??????? am i not understanding you???

If the water in the boiler is above a certain temp it will circulate w/o firing the boiler.

the water has to circulate from the boiler through the pipes in the baseboard, thats how they get hot??????? am i not understanding you???
Yes, but it keeps the same water in the pipes only adding when it gets low. The boiler uses different water for hot water . And the heating water is a closed system.

Status
Not open for further replies.