Should I insulate my fireplace bricks???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydes2004

Dec 28, 2012
Rhode Island
Hey guys,

I just took my winter warm insert out (putting a new liner in this weekend) and noticed that I have about 4 inches in the rear and 3 inches on each side. Is it worth putting Roxul and some durarock in there to Wlo insulate it?? Just throwing the question out there since everything is currently out.

Here is a picture of the stove installed and a picture of just the fireplace. I also snapped a photo of the existing damper area. Hopefully I can squeeze that 8 inch liner in there. It looks right!

bb43fa05c851be2dbd71399b42b587aa.jpg
7abb823da243fbbd4b5672a1b58ced2b.jpg
2fa2e21bd049939c8c08b8cb298b4fdc.jpg

we usually do on insert installs unless it is an internal fp

Mine is an exterior chimney on the north side of the house. Do you guys use just Roxul??

We use foil faced ceramic wool and a layer of 1" unfaced behind that but that is what we have roxul will work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.