Should I insulate the liner...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

doctorlevels

Nov 13, 2017
Maine
Hi all-

New here but have been lurking a while. And while I have seen some good threads related to it, I have to ask:

Do I need to wrap the new liner I am about to install??

-Fireplace will house a brand new Jotul Castine which is an INTERIOR hearth/chimney.

-Fireplace has an old sheet metal box insert that that we've used quite a bit. It draws extremely well and puts out more heat than I would think.

-Flue has clay liner, not much creosote.

The dealer we used seems great and sent the salesman over to measure and inspect. He is a professional Sweep on the side and said the flue/smoke chamber look fine as is and said insulating the liner is not necessary. I have had almost a month to research but I've gotten a little obsessed and had to pull back so I though I'd just ask you professionals.

Thanks- any advice would be great.

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. The liner should probably be insulated unless the chimney has the code required clearances, which is rare. For sure there should be an insulated block-off plate sealing off the damper area around the liner. That will help keep the heat in the house.

Another consideration besides all-important safety/code compliance, is performance. Depending on how tall your chimney is, insulation may also enhance the performance of the Castine, which is particular about having good draft if I'm not mistaken. This could help particularly when it's not real cold out but you still need to run the stove.

Last edited:
What they said we do not install any liners without insulation

I lived in one house where I installed a liner and didn’t insulate. Sometimes the draft sucked and I never really felt completely safe.

This house, same length of chimney, insulation not required by code.

I did it, and I couldn’t be happier. Drafts better, chimney cleaner, feel better.

It cost me $287 dollars to insulate my liner.... most of us spend that on coffee and fast food a month.

Thanks, everyone.

I will be insulating.

So, is it as easy as getting the Sweep back and looking at my install in order to get it "certified" for my insurance guy? Talked to my local fire chief and he said to check out NFPA 211 but I can't seem to find a free way to do it.

As far as above where it'll be, the stove company spec'd (6) 1" "blankets" to put in, held up with expanded metal lathe or the like, I assume. I also plan to have a package of Roxul to make sure I have enough to stuff around the liner. Should that just go up as far as I can reach? The whole liner will be about 22' or 23' to the top of the flue. I am also having a metal guy fab up a piece of sheet metal to "pretty up" the hole, around the new liner and behind the lintel. This should deflect more heat out of the hearth, no?

Any (more) thoughts or tips about this whole thing? I am a builder and contractor so my handiness isn't an issue with this whole process. Well, I hope!

Thanks again!

Insulate

Good decision on insulating.

Where are you thinking about putting the Roxul? The insulation you want for the liner is a ceramic wool that is foil faced. The sheet metal you’re having made up is essentially your block off plate, put a couple layers of Roxul above that.