Should I replace Whitfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ratkillingdog

Oct 5, 2007
We have a Whitfield Advantage II that needs some work, new “panels”, the three pieces in the firebox, gaskets, and maybe a new exhaust blower motor. Easy, but we have never been able to run it low enough during the day. It was in the house when we bought it 5 years ago, very clean install. The minimum feed I can get and still keep a fire is about 50 lbs. a day and it gets too hot, over 80f during the day. We usually turn it off and let the furnace take over set at 72f And relight it in the evening. We both prefer the pellet heat.

I’m thinking about a PP 130. Any guesses or experienced users on how low consumption wise we can run this stove? I’ll make an educated guess that we could keep this place 72-74f on less than 40 lbs softwood pellets per day, but I want the reserve capacity as we get older and want a warmer constant. I like what I read about the simplicity of the 130, a bigger hopper, and auto ignition. It’s not as solid as the Whitfield and not quite as attractive, but immaterial to us.

Thanks
BC

I have no idea what a PP130 would use on low but
my Enviro can go 26 to 36 hours set at low. Keeps the room at 72
with outside temps as low as -10 ::C . It will use a bag in 24 hours
when temps go below -15 ::C Below -30 its a bag and 1/2 a day