Shoulder season short burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FanMan

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2012
CT stix & upstate NY
One nice thing about the small (8" diameter by 18" brick lined firebox) antique coal stove in my cabin bedroom is the way it can be used. Filled with coal, it burns all night and keeps the bedroom toasty with no fuss, but at this time of year (70s during the day and 40s overnight) it would be overkill... but on a chilly morning (the cabin is drafty and uninsulated) I can light a quick fire (filled the night before) of wood chips and small construction scraps. Since it's so small it heats up fast, burns for about a half hour, then it's out, having taken the chill off so I can enjoy my morning coffee before starting my day. The larger stove in the living room would barely even be warm to the touch in that amount of time.

img_1825-jpg.76016

Reactions: fbelec
Status
Not open for further replies.