shoulder surgery

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
hi everyone just looking to see if anyone had a shoulder replacement and how it went? i'm having my right shoulder fully replaced at the end of this month and looking to see about how it went for you. i can't wait. i have a ligament that is ripping and a pinched nerve on top of the bone on bone shoulder

DAKSY

Patriot Guard Rider Moderator
Staff member
I had my right shoulder replaced. Scheduled for the procedure in Sep 2018. My surgeon does 150 replacements every year & has been at it for 10 years, so I was confident (but nervous) going in...When the surgeon cut me open, he found that my rotator cuff was shot & he had to go to Plan B, which was a Total REVERSE Shoulder Replacement. The "ball" of the joint is now attached to my shoulder instead of my humerus. 2 hours in surgery. 1 night in the hospital. No visible sutures. The incision was held together with transparent surgical tape, which allowed medical personnel to see that the site was healing properly & that there was no infection present. It was kinda weird having a basically "dead" arm just hanging there in a sling due to the anesthetic block after I awakened. 6 weeks in a sling, which was rather unpleasant, especially trying to sleep. We had a recliner, but it wasn't much help. There are restrictions like not doing push-ups (darn!) & bench-presses (shucks!). My rotator cuff is non-existent & does present some problems getting my hand behind my back. I cannot throw very well overhand. Weight limitation of lifting 15lbs MAX. My bowling career is essentially over, but at 68 & retired, I really couldn't afford the league fees anyway. There is a 5% chance of dislocation if I push it too hard, so I think before I commit to moving heavy stuff. Almost 2 years post-op & I have no pain. Glad I had it done. Below is a pic of the incision scar. Good luck with your procedure.

Attachments

Reactions: vinny11950

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
your doctor did very well on the scaring. my brother has a big noticeable scar on his. i'm hoping that he doesn't have to do a reverse on me i'm 59 and still have some work to do before i retire. he says he won't know until he gets in there if it's a conventional replacement or a reverse. if reverse he says early retirement. so far i like my doctor. he and the hospital (new england baptist) are very thorough he and his team work on the Celtics and red soxs so that was a vote of confidence. it boggles my mind to see how many replacements he does in a year and see office visits and the like. my doc does 200 to 250 replacements a year. thanks for the good wishes

Reactions: DAKSY

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
bob is the 15 pound limit because of the reverse or that non existent rotator cuff

DAKSY

Patriot Guard Rider Moderator
Staff member
bob is the 15 pound limit because of the reverse or that non existent rotator cuff
Supposedly due to the Total Reverse. I have pushed it, but carefully.
I lift heavy weights VERY slowly, using my legs & holding the objects
CLOSE to my body, not just hanging from my shoulder...

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
Supposedly due to the Total Reverse. I have pushed it, but carefully.
I lift heavy weights VERY slowly, using my legs & holding the objects
CLOSE to my body, not just hanging from my shoulder...
Daksy, am going through a similar suckage as we speak. I tripped and fell landing on my right (dominate) hand. Shattered my wrist which was reduced using a plate and 10 screws by the surgeon. After the swelling started to subside, I noticed that I may have also retorn my right distal bicep tendon which was re-attached 11 years ago and healed up fine. I will be glad to see 2020 go. I see the surgeon on Thursday for a follow up. Meanwhile I have a beautiful pile of Oak on my drive waiting to be CSS. And Ash that needs to get CSS before it goes punky.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Oh man that sounds terrible. So sorry to hear this Sod. Sounds like it may be good to hire some help for the season so that you don't have to worry about anything but healing.