shreded oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Lots of stringy wood in this tree.

Attachments

• 100_6196.JPG
    100_6196.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 200
gotta love all that curl in that wood! Was there a lot of knots in that tree? I mostly find those knarls around crotches and knots, sounds like your tree has a lot of that in it......one nice thing that is a tight pattern where the tree is growing like that. Once dry, she'll burn great!

Some of those are okay to have around but they are a pain to store. I usually throw some on the top of my piles and some find there way to the outside firepit pile.

Some of those are okay to have around but they are a pain to store. I usually throw some on the top of my piles and some find there way to the outside firepit pile.
I stack my wood in a manner so as there is around a 10" space between the two outside rows. In that space I stack the uglies and chunks that don't fit anywhere else. That way you never know they are even in there til it's time to burn 'em........

Yes lots of Knots in that tree. Have lots of uglies. I stack them on top and the worst ones will go to the fire pit along
with the punky rotten stuff that was around the hollow part. I've been stacking on pallets with
side boards then I move the pallet out back with the tractor.

Thats curly oak and sure slows things down to a craw. I say those for last and alot of times I just throw them in the trailer.

One of the few trees that a 35 ton spliter is needed for. One of the worst rounds seemed to take an hour to split. That 12 1/2 horse briggs really sucks the gas down.

More pictures.

Attachments

• 100_6197.JPG
    100_6197.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_6202.JPG
    100_6202.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 173
Sounds like a good candidate for noodling. Did you try that? Rounds like that don't make it more than two or three attempts in my splitter. That chit won't stall the 041 Super equipped with the 28" bar and a full chisel chain.....rip 'em into billets if they won't split!!

Notice the rounds in the picture. they've been noodled into 1/4 rounds. My friend did that for me so I could move them. I just have a 55 rancher so it's probably faster for me to split it.

One of the few trees that a 35 ton spliter is needed for. One of the worst rounds seemed to take an hour to split. That 12 1/2 horse briggs really sucks the gas down.

Yep I call those a cold day in hell round. When its a big winter storm coming in I will take the time to split that pile......:confused:

Wow, look at the twisted bark; That spells trouble. :(

I'd have left those in the woods. Too much work for this hand splitter. I stay far enough ahead that I can pass on ugly stuff like that. If that is working your machine that hard, I couldn't imagine splitting it by hand. Are you using more fuel to split it than you can save burning it?

Reactions: smokinj
I'd have left those in the woods. Too much work for this hand splitter. I stay far enough ahead that I can pass on ugly stuff like that. If that is working your machine that hard, I couldn't imagine splitting it by hand. Are you using more fuel to split it than you can save burning it?

Ha, not quite that much fuel. I wouldn't cut somthing like that in the woods, to much work. It's in my yard so I have to
get rid of it somehow. You have to consider when I said an hour for the worst round, there is probably 6 days of heat for me in that one round. these are huge rounds

Reactions: smokinj

That would have been interesting to have my little 20 ton splitter along side of your 35 ton to compare. For sure ours would use a bit less gas as we have only a 5 hp engine! I've always thought it would be interesting to get several splitters together, not for any contest but just to see the difference in them.

yeah i just got done with lots of those with my 22 ton. they did ok. but man do they suck. im with flatbed. from here on im passing up on any crap like that. having about 18 cords on hand right now i don't need anymore headaches like that.

Reactions: woodsmaster
I'm with Scotty on those. I'd just cut em up with the saw. That Rancher should do fine if you have good sharp chain on it.

That would have been interesting to have my little 20 ton splitter along side of your 35 ton to compare. For sure ours would use a bit less gas as we have only a 5 hp engine! I've always thought it would be interesting to get several splitters together, not for any contest but just to see the difference in them.

' If I were going to buy a spliter I'd probably go with the 22 ton for the price, light weight and gas consumption. I'm just borrowing this one.

I'm with Scotty on those. I'd just cut em up with the saw. That Rancher should do fine if you have good sharp chain on it.

The 55 rancher just don't have enough umph for the curlie white oak, it's faster for me to use the splitter. I split my wood with the end slightly larger than a playing card so that would be a lot of cutting.

Jags - that's like a split that comes with its own kindling! That's a nasty one! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.