siding instead of brick for chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
As I've mentioned earlier, our brick chimney was struck by lightning. I am trying to decide whether to have the chimney rebuilt with brick and have the brick stained to match the existing brick on the house, or whether to just cover my chimney with some kind of siding and build it up to the needed height. Obviously, the siding would cost less. Anyone have any pics of chimneys that are NOT made of brick? I am having a hard time visualizing what that might look like on our house. Any reason why using siding as a replacement would NOT be a good idea, and using brick would be better?

brick looks way better. siding i think would last allot longer as long as you have a good cap on it.

with brick it looks real nice but you do have to maintain it.
i also think brick would add resale value to your home.

but if you want something quick and dose the job cheep and will last to the next time you side your house ;-).
then siding is the way to go

thanks
Jason

Most newer houses around me are "pipe chases". I think they are cheaper and maybe potentially more energy efficient.

I've seen older houses with painted chimneys, and I think that kinda looks nice.

I personally think brick looks better for an older house, even painted.

Are they going to be matching that exactly with a stain? Does it wear off or change color over the years?

Think of it as adding character.

Hopefully you got insurance money to replace what got destroyed.. If building the entire top,which would be cheaper, then there is no need for custom brick colors. Yes you could build a wood chase and side it. The question you should ask how many other homes in the neighborhood your home's age, have wood chases replacing brick ones? You will de value your home. It will look out of place for its age and look like a cheap fix. I mean if that's what you want, it is doable.. We can not decide for you.. My personal advice is do it right and with brick.

If it were my house it would have been done by now

RoosterBoy said:
brick looks way better. siding i think would last allot longer as long as you have a good cap on it.

with brick it looks real nice but you do have to maintain it.
i also think brick would add resale value to your home.

but if you want something quick and dose the job cheep and will last to the next time you side your house ;-).
then siding is the way to go

thanks
Jason

Maintain brick...What do you have to do? My parents house is almost 45 years old and the brick is the ONLY part that has not needed any attention. I beg to differ on that one. Brick is the ultimate siding material.

rmcfall said:
As I've mentioned earlier, our brick chimney was struck by lightning. I am trying to decide whether to have the chimney rebuilt with brick and have the brick stained to match the existing brick on the house, or whether to just cover my chimney with some kind of siding and build it up to the needed height. Obviously, the siding would cost less. Anyone have any pics of chimneys that are NOT made of brick? I am having a hard time visualizing what that might look like on our house. Any reason why using siding as a replacement would NOT be a good idea, and using brick would be better?

I vote for brick.....you could use any masonry and then stucco or parge, but that does not look as nice in my opinion - although lots of nice colors are available.

You also might be able to face with Hardieboard - comes in stucco and other looks.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. My inclination was that brick would be the best way to go....repairing this chimney back to its original state is a rather lenghtly process due to the lack of availability of the type of brick, so in the meantime I have thought about other options. As it seems, however, putting it back the way it was originally is probably best. As far as the staining, it actually isn't a stain and is some sort of permanent coloring process. For whatever it is worth, the company I've contacted that does this type of work offers a 25 year warranty (www.masonrycosmetics.com).

Elk--you mentioned that if it was your house it would have been done by now, but unless you have access to Roman brick I doubt it... My house <and chimneys) consist of Roman brick, which are not so easy to find. However, my brickyard infomed me that they were able to locate some in a neighboring state, but of course they don't match. Thus, they will have to be "stained" to match, but the closest company that does this type of staining is 7 hours away. They will do the job, but before coming out here they are doing a sample match (I just mailed them some brick about a week ago for them to try) to make sure they can successfully do the job.

elkimmeg said:
Hopefully you got insurance money to replace what got destroyed.. If building the entire top,which would be cheaper, then there is no need for custom brick colors. Yes you could build a wood chase and side it. The question you should ask how many other homes in the neighborhood your home's age, have wood chases replacing brick ones? You will de value your home. It will look out of place for its age and look like a cheap fix. I mean if that's what you want, it is doable.. We can not decide for you.. My personal advice is do it right and with brick.

If it were my house it would have been done by now

Warren i dont like to differ with anyone. morter joint's in brick dose crack and sometimes need to be refilled and when they do crack. sometimes by the home settling or how ever it may be. can cause leaks into the house.

also the top cap where the chimney go's dose crack and start leaking down into the house and sometimes need to be re-concreted
we all know what can happen when water in the winter gets into a crack and freezes the water expands and makes the crack bigger

everyone should check there chimney every year.

also to prevent your chimney from getting hit by lightning again put a ground rod on the peek of your roof it will attract lightning to the rod and conduct better.

thanks
Jason

I would already have it done by now meant just that I would have done the masonry work Myself
Which in your case does not matter. I understand you are trying to match existing bricks of a brick home.

Good luck to you can you repost the before picture and a good picture of the bricks

Covering a roman brick chimney with siding is a crime. It is taking what I expect is a very tasteful architectural part of your home, and converting it to a bland, pedestrian chimney that will only lessen your home's value. Say what you want, but siding chimneys, or chases, are cheap and cheesey... used mostly on tract homes in architecturally boring developments. Take the time, get the right brick, stain it the way it must be stained, and replace your chimney.

-- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.