Sifting Through the Ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How about those scoopers made for deep fryers?

AC29C1DE-D2A5-429B-AD83-49B57E1FC380.png

I use the one the moderator is showing. Since the web is made of steel, it is rugged. Have had it for over 2 years with no problems...

Lol, that seems perfectionist to me! I just stir the coals with my poker so the ash falls to the bottom and the larger chunks rise. They'll burn down! I pull the ash out when I can no longer fit the amount of wood I want in the stove!

My furnace has shaker grates and an ash bin, so the method would change if you don't have those. But, I dump the ash bin into a 16" X 16" metal box I made which has a punched metal screen in the bottom and two handles rising to the top of the box. When the box is mostly full (and cold) I pull the handles while shaking and the punched metal filters the big stuff and any nails for manual separation. Sometimes I throw the big coals back in the fire or use for traction. Fine ash to the garden unless we've burner coal then it fills groundhog holes.

Of course the shaking is done outside. And on a windy day, if possible!

Home maid rake does a good job. I rake coals foward, a few small pieces of pine to burn down a large pile and I'm ready to reload. Why throw away good coals?

IMG_1315.JPG

Home maid rake does a good job. I rake coals foward, a few small pieces of pine to burn down a large pile and I'm ready to reload. Why throw away good coals?
That's a good idea. A landscape rake with the handle cut down would be a quick way to get something similar.

Bent this from a coat hanger. Ugly but works well. Use it to push the ash and coals around over the grate in the Jotul f400. The ash drops down thru the grates into the ash pan and the coals whether hot or cold stay on top of the grates. No need to scoop them out as they burn in the next load.

ACC6F9D9-B5BB-4F67-9910-75FA239E4148.jpeg

Bent this from a coat hanger. Ugly but works well. Use it to push the ash and coals around over the grate in the Jotul f400. The ash drops down thru the grates into the ash pan and the coals whether hot or cold stay on top of the grates. No need to scoop them out as they burn in the next load.

View attachment 309868
Yes, should have bought a better "value" stove.
No ash pan on mine.
Live and learn.

every stove I’ve owned had an ash pan. I only used the first 2 ash pans. The last 2 just got their ashes scooped out.

Found something worth trying on a recommendation from a friend.
Restaurant supply, Culinary basket, size medium, $7.
There were several sizes, even considered a fryolator basket.
If it does not work out will try a different, larger size mesh.
At the very least will have something to sift Panko coated foods.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
There’s a scoop that ice fishermen use to pull ice from their holes. You may want to look at them too.

It’d be easy enough to make the holes bigger with any twist bit.

In the BBQ section of sportsman’s warehouse.

Better have your gloves on, but the prospecting section at Bass Pro A7AFBEEF-D4CF-4E27-BFFC-11B07B41FB67.jpeg

This is what I use. $16 on Amazon.
All steel.

Screenshot_20230309-215910.png