Signature Line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbering on

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2012
New York
Went to make a slight edit to my signature line, but error message stated I needed to delete 7 lines, 14 characters and a smiley face before it would save.

Are shortened signatures a requirement of the new system, or a bug I'll need to be patient about?

Actually, we are going to limit signatures in the future - this is not a requirement, but a decision.
Sigs have been getting longer and longer and now often take up 10X as much room as the actual post, resulting in the thread pages being longer.

The final decisions have not yet been made or announced, but chances are the length will be short and maybe get longer once you have a 100+ posts, etc.

New members signing up now or changing will be subject to smaller sigs! I guess that is what you are running into.

Soon I will make a formal announcement and plan of action - that is, eventually we may have to erase all the old ones and have everyone put in new ones.

This has been an intention from the start - the old system limited the actual displayed size to some degree, but had no way of being more specific (number of links, etc.).

For those who want long intros, the sigs can link to your members information page which can contain large amounts of text, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.