Significance of cracks in secondary manifold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jbarker496

Mar 20, 2009
Western NY
Hello all –
Please forgive the newbie question. I have a lopi liberty woodstove that is probably about 15 years old. I noticed some cracks in the inside rear of the stove in what I believe is the secondary manifold. I understand this is a problem, but I’m not sure that I fully understand why. I did some searching, but wasn’t able to come up with good explanations. Sounds like it’s a potential safety concern? Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance!
-Jay

Hello all –
Please forgive the newbie question. I have a lopi liberty woodstove that is probably about 15 years old. I noticed some cracks in the inside rear of the stove in what I believe is the secondary manifold. I understand this is a problem, but I’m not sure that I fully understand why. I did some searching, but wasn’t able to come up with good explanations. Sounds like it’s a potential safety concern? Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance!
-Jay
It usually isn't really a safety concern as long as the cracks havnt spread to the stove body. But it will effect performance because air is being introduced to the firebox in an area where it wasn't designed to be

Is this at the back center of the firebox where the manifold tees? If so, I think there is a repair kit for this.