Silencing a Lopi Leyden...or lower the fan noise a little.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zrtmatos

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2012
Connecticut
I have just recently installed a Lopi Leyden with and OAK. On the heat exhaust I am using the 4 inch required piping. It is a straight run out through the wall, connected to a t with cleanout and up 5 feet outside to an elbow and a cap.
On the OAK I am using the 3 inch diameter outlet from the bottom of the stove connected to 3 inch metal adjustable vent piping which is then connected to a 3 to 4 inch adapter which is connected to a 4 inch dryer vent to the outside. All connections are tightly clamped with the usual worm screw connector.
The fan noise on this stove is much higher than another pellet stove I have, an Enviro Windsor. The only difference is the OAK. The Enviro does not have one on it. I think the higher noise level might be coming from the OAK?;?
Anyone know of a way to muffle down the noise level on either of these? Would wrapping the OAK metal piping diminish the sound kinda like A/C connections run through ceilings? Am I correct in that the fan noise is higher due to higher output on this Lopi? ;?

I understand that this is a new "install", but is the stove brand new, or used?

I guess that anything's possible, but I kinda doubt the OAK is the cause of the noise. Is the noise from the comb. blower, the conv. blower, or a combo of both?

In my experience, the conv. blower always seems the louder of the 2. You might want to take a look and see if the motor on the conv. blower has the 2 oil holes. 2-3 drops of 3 in 1 oil might help, especially if it's a used stove.

I understand that this is a new "install", but is the stove brand new, or used?

I guess that anything's possible, but I kinda doubt the OAK is the cause of the noise. Is the noise from the comb. blower, the conv. blower, or a combo of both?

In my experience, the conv. blower always seems the louder of the 2. You might want to take a look and see if the motor on the conv. blower has the 2 oil holes. 2-3 drops of 3 in 1 oil might help, especially if it's a used stove.

Thanks for your reply. It is a 4 year old stove. I removed the combustion fan and cleaned the rust from the inside of it with a wire brush, vacuumed it and have sprayed its insides with penetrating oil. The fan moves freely. It was suggested by another online stove repairman that the baffles might be a source of a rust problem. That's why I concentrated on making sure this part was working well. I have replaced the white gasket that attaches the fan to the stove with a new one from Lopi. It's all tightened down. I placed a new stove adapter to the outlet mount and used the 500 degree silicone to seal it.
The strange thing is that it sounds like I hear air rushing in through the OAK hose still?

Well, if the comb. blower is running, there will be air coming in through the OAK attachment at the rear. Could be some air noise there, but I had a Avalon Astoria and never heard anything like that.

Have you removed the convection blower and checked for oiling holes like I mentioned above? In my experience, the convection blower is the source of most of the noise in a pellet stove. If it hasn't been lubricated, it may be noisy.

Look at the attached pics.....the holes may even be on the underside. Many of us have taken the motor off and rotated it so the oiling holes are on top. My Astoria even had the yellow plugs...just remove them, oil, and replace them:

Attachments

• blower lube ports.jpg
    blower lube ports.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 284
  • ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 254
The strange thing is that it sounds like I hear air rushing in through the OAK hose still?

What happens when you disconnect the OAK??

Well, if the comb. blower is running, there will be air coming in through the OAK attachment at the rear. Could be some air noise there, but I had a Avalon Astoria and never heard anything like that.

Have you removed the convection blower and checked for oiling holes like I mentioned above? In my experience, the convection blower is the source of most of the noise in a pellet stove. If it hasn't been lubricated, it may be noisy.

Look at the attached pics.....the holes may even be on the underside. Many of us have taken the motor off and rotated it so the oiling holes are on top. My Astoria even had the yellow plugs...just remove them, oil, and replace them:

I will take another look at it and see if the yellow plugs are there on the underside. Did you use WD40 or some other lubrication spray? ;? I think I used a penetrating oil recommended by a mechanic before. Smelled strong at first but the scent went away after a few days.

Thanks for the great pics! I hope this solves it for me. I sit right next to the stove in my family room and the tv has to be really loud for me to hear it since I installed this stove. Great heat so far using Greene Supreme pellets. ::F

I will take another look at it and see if the yellow plugs are there on the underside. Did you use WD40 or some other lubrication spray? ;? I think I used a penetrating oil recommended by a mechanic before. Smelled strong at first but the scent went away after a few days.

Thanks for the great pics! I hope this solves it for me. I sit right next to the stove in my family room and the tv has to be really loud for me to hear it since I installed this stove. Great heat so far using Greene Supreme pellets. ::F

The proper oil to use should be on the maker's plate on the blower motor it is usually SAE #20 non detergent or 3 in 1 blue and white can.

But check the motor maker's plate there is at least one line that wants #30 non detergent. .

Status
Not open for further replies.