Silly Idea...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
So my father-in-law threw his 029 in the trash because it has been sitting in his shed for 10 years with no chain plate, no bar and no chain. I know, who would throw an 029 away that ran the last time it worked when it was put away. I have no problem taking other peoples "junk" so I put it in the back of my truck. Took me a few days til I got to it, but just to see what would happen, I choked it, pulled 5 times and it started. Ran pretty good actually and that gas is at least 10 years old.

Everyone always wants to borrow my chainsaw, and I usually get them back with destroyed chains or other issues. My plan is to make it my back up saw or the saw I don't care what happens to it (its a farm boss and they are tanks).

Now that you have the story, here is why I'm asking if this will work. Because I want to put as little into it as possible, I want to know if it is possible to put a 20" bar I took off of my husky 562xp (Its still ok, just has a lot of wear) and chain on the farm boss. The farm stihl had an 18" bar before. I a lot of it seems to line up but before I do much more, I want to have people that know more then me tell me how silly it is lol.

So my father-in-law threw his 029 in the trash because it has been sitting in his shed for 10 years with no chain plate, no bar and no chain. I know, who would throw an 029 away that ran the last time it worked when it was put away. I have no problem taking other peoples "junk" so I put it in the back of my truck. Took me a few days til I got to it, but just to see what would happen, I choked it, pulled 5 times and it started. Ran pretty good actually and that gas is at least 10 years old.

Everyone always wants to borrow my chainsaw, and I usually get them back with destroyed chains or other issues. My plan is to make it my back up saw or the saw I don't care what happens to it (its a farm boss and they are tanks).

Now that you have the story, here is why I'm asking if this will work. Because I want to put as little into it as possible, I want to know if it is possible to put a 20" bar I took off of my husky 562xp (Its still ok, just has a lot of wear) and chain on the farm boss. The farm stihl had an 18" bar before. I a lot of it seems to line up but before I do much more, I want to have people that know more then me tell me how silly it is lol.
Because it was my FIL's saw, I wouldn't be loaning it out but that's just me. Our neighbor who sold us all our land sold me his 028 wood boss for $60.00 bucks which he only cut one load of logs so it was in great shape. Even though I didn't need it I could see he wanted it in my hands so I don't think I could sell it or loan it out.

I believe Spacebus is correct, I know there are adapters that you can buy to fit different bars to different saws but am not knowledgeable enough know what can/can’t be adapted.

Also that 029 is probably set up with a .325” sprocket & that Hooskie is probably 3/8” sprocket so you would have miss matched bar/chain & sprocket.

Just something else to think about & check on. I would just buy a used bar & slap it on there.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thanks for all of the input. I am probably going to go the route of used bar and chain. Still amazed the thing fired right up. I love my husky 562xp but I will always advocate for the dependability of the older stihl saws like this farm boss and my 170.

Reactions: JimBear
Thanks for all of the input. I am probably going to go the route of used bar and chain. Still amazed the thing fired right up. I love my husky 562xp but I will always advocate for the dependability of the older stihl saws like this farm boss and my 170.

Check with Cannon. They make bar mount adapters allowing the use of different manufacturer's bars on different brand saws. I have not used any personally (all Stihl products here) but it's worth a shot. And kudos for rescuing the Farm Boss. Mine (a later model) has been my go-to saw for over 11 years and it's still my favorite saw.

I'm sure a local shop could hook you up with a parts saw. I know my local shop is tripping over them.

Never lend out your Wife, Girlfriend, or your Chainsaw..
They never come back the same as they were before !!

Reactions: D8Chumley
There is a good, small shop not far from me that may sell used stuff because he's a good guy but the other 2 in the area are really into making money and "don't keep old stuff around." More like, "We want to make sure you have to pay higher prices for new."

Reactions: JimBear