Silly Question About Brushes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
I like tools. I've been using a Sooteater exclusively for 3 seasons now. Just for the heck of it I'd like to try a brush, but I've never purchased one. I know I need a 6" poly brush as I have a six inch stainless chimney pipe.

But I see a "regular" and "heavy duty" version of these brushes. I generally buy heavy duty whenever I can, is there any reason not to use heavy duty?

And torque lock connectors as opposed to threaded sounds like a good idea. Any reason not to use them?

Thanks!

I've been doing a top down cleaning for years with 6' fiberglass rods, screw together type and a 6" poly brush. This has all worked fine. The poly brush does wear, loosing diameter. I don't know there was different models of the brush. After a few cleanings the brush is not as tight in the double wall section of my chimney. I've never seen the type of connector you speak of.

I need to get an 8" poly - anyone have a lead one where they are cheapest? Any good deals on shipping out there? I will not need it for a few months so no hurry at all but the 8 I have is steel and not the best for my chimney.

Thanks

Do you dislike the Sooteater? I just purchased a sooteater this year. My new house has a tall chimney and without a buying a 40' ladder I will not be doing a top down cleaning. I can't run a brush up from the bottom without pulling the whole stove out so I figured a sooteater would be the trick.

I bought a screw together poly brush from Northline Express . . . cannot remember if it was heavy duty or not . . . has worked fine with no notable wear and that's with my over-diligently cleaning the flue every month during the heating season for the past few years.

Do you dislike the Sooteater? I just purchased a sooteater this year. My new house has a tall chimney and without a buying a 40' ladder I will not be doing a top down cleaning. I can't run a brush up from the bottom without pulling the whole stove out so I figured a sooteater would be the trick.

I love the sooteater. My chimney sticks 10' out of my roof so I have no choice to do if from the bottom. The main reason I am interested in a standard poly brush is to see if it picks anything up that the sooteater didn't. It is more out of curiosity than necessity.

Plus I like tools.

Let us know how it goes. I have always had the feeling the sooteater was leaving some behind.
just a gut feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.