Silver lining on a bad windstorm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
The tree services have been BUSY clearing downed trees in the local resort communities. 30-40 yards of mulch/chips dumped daily. 3 loads of what we’re once beautiful trees on the lakeshore, delivered within 24 hours. I’d rather they were still standing, but since they’re not, I’m beyond glad to get them dumped here. Nothing but hard maple and white oak.

Just a week ago, I was starting to worry about when I was going to get in the woods to pull out my 22-23 wood. I’m thinking that I’m staring at 23-24 and maybe 24-25! Anyone care to take a stab at how many cord are in the truck?
D3A7D57F-5BB7-4ABF-9C37-21F6F962BFD7.jpeg

Reactions: Lakeside
Good for you. Helps a lot to have it delivered.

How is your Progress Hybrid working out ? Do you do any cooking with it ?

The PH is great, performing as advertised. It takes about 3 cord to heat from the end of September through the end of April with a smattering of fires in sept and may... actually had t\have one this June.

I’ve cooked on it a bit. In particular, during power outages before I got a gas stove as well as crock-pot style meals. I purchased a metal grate to lift a pot off of the surface, keeping pot temperature cooking, but not burning.

takes about 3 cord

If this is not your first wood stove -- is three cord less than you last stove ??

any nice pictures of that nice woodstock stove?

It’s my first stove, so no comparison of different stoves in the same house. Talking to friends/neighbors, and considering the climate I’m in, the stove is definitely very efficient. Generally, I run two 3/4 full loads per day in the winter with hot starts. (I can carry the wood for one fire in one arm.) When old man winter is angry and trying to kill things, the loads are full and I may do a third loading. We had a spread of days that were sub-zero including nights at 20-35 below... the stove kept up, but it was running hard and took a little more effort. I’ve been really happy with it.

The other stove manufacturer that I’d consider if the PH weren’t an option is blaze-king. Others may dispute what I’m about to say.... it feels like they both knock it out of the park when running fullish loads. The BK wins in shoulder season (although the PH works fine for me) and the PH is far more attractive (although some may not like how it looks at all.) PH support has been beyond great.

PH support has been beyond great

Woodstock -- is known for the superior support -- Also great to buy from USA mfg.

Great to hear the stove is working out well , your burning rate and methods sound good.

Thanks for following up -- wishing you lot's of dry firewood.

Reactions: bfitz3