Simplest way to heat an apartment and garage with a Jensen wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RonJon1190

Jan 2, 2018
Moodus CT
Hi guys, I have what may be an odd request. My barn (garage) has an old Jensen wood boiler in it, that we got a few years ago, and only hooked it up to a fan coil in the garage. When we piped that in, we made a manifold where we could add zone valves easily if needed later. I would like to hook it up to supply heat (thermostatically controlled) to the 1200 sf apartment above the garage, and use the insulated garage space (about 1000 sq ft) as a dump zone. Right now the garage space is only heated by the boiler and fan coil combo or a conventional wood stove, while the apartment has a single heat zone and a second zone for DHW with an indirect tank. The oil boiler is a system 2000, which is a cold start boiler. What would you guys suggest for a system layout?

I was thinking about just running heat pex to the second floor, running a second set of baseboard radiators (the apartment has baseboard only along one wall, I could easily run them opposite the existing ones) then just putting a second thermostat in, and run them as two separate systems. Has anyone else run into a similar situation?