Simpson duravent clean out cap removal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Jun 25, 2014
South Michigan
Is there some kind of trick to getting the clean out cap out of a Simpson duravent tee ? I've tried pulling it, twisting it, prying it, banging on it. I'm pretty sure if I try any harder I'm going to ruin the dang thing.
I ended up taking to whole vent pipe off in order to clean it out.

Yes. Spray PB Blaster into the seam at least 3 times. It saved me many times!

Got it soaking right now.

Got it soaking right now.

Very good, to speed the process, I try to wiggle the cap and tap it with a rubber hammer. Nothing works better than a good PB blaster soak! Spray it again and have it soak more too!

Please let us know what happens.

Use an Oil Filter wrench to turn it to line up the slots

Once removed I apply a coat of Copper Based Anti-Seize to slots/threads.

Makes future removals easy.

---Nailer---

the dang pipe started to crack/tear. I decided to just leave it alone and ended up taking the whole pipe off the house to clean it out. I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for a good deal on another vent pipe.

Use an Oil Filter wrench to turn it to line up the slots

Once removed I apply a coat of Copper Based Anti-Seize to slots/threads.

Makes future removals easy.

---Nailer---

I do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.