Single/double wall connecter pipe confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditchmonkey

Feb 11, 2015
Oregon
The Woodstock Fireview manual lists the clearance from stove pipe to wall as 18 inches, or 10 inches with a vertical stack shield. They do not clarify that these specifications are for single-wall pipe, but I'm assuming they are because I have read that double-wall pipe only requires 8 inches of clearance. Why do people use single-wal pipe? For example, why would someone pay extra for a vertical stack shield for a single-wall pipe rather than just switch to a double-wall pipe?

If they already own the single wall, or perhaps only a small area needs shielded. Like if the pipe passes in front of a combustible mantel, then only a small portion needs shielded. Double wall can be installed as close as 6" from combustibles, and is very expensive. Single wall fits into most peoples budget much better.

Many folks believe that the pipe heats the house. They want to feel and touch that hot single wall pipe.

If they already own the single wall, or perhaps only a small area needs shielded. Like if the pipe passes in front of a combustible mantel, then only a small portion needs shielded. Double wall can be installed as close as 6" from combustibles, and is very expensive. Single wall fits into most peoples budget much better.
The problem I see with single wall is that you get to spend that money over and over every few years.

The problem I see with single wall is that you get to spend that money over and over every few years.
Not true with 22ga. It will last for many many years. I've cleaned some that was pushing 15 years and had no signs of giving up.
I agree completely with 24ga, I would never use it in my house.

Not true with 24ga. It will last for many many years. I've cleaned some that was pushing 15 years and had no signs of giving up.
I agree completely with 24ga, I would never use it in my house.

When the snap together hardware store single wall for my shop stove eventually rots out, I will either upgrade to that prewelded 22 ga pipe or double wall. The thin single wall doesn't fit together as well as I would like. It's just hard to keep everything perfectly round and tapered just right with such a low price point.

I believe the stack shield is much cheaper than double wall.

In my opinion, those shields look really silly. Double wall costs more but it is also stainless steel (at least the inner wall) so it will last longer plus the superior draft from the insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.