Single vs. Double Wall Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKBAGUY

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Milford, PA
Getting ready to set a pre-owned pellet stove insert into my existing masonry fireplace, and wondering if there might be a way to economize on the venting. Since the existing fireplace is already masonry, I'm wondering why I wouldn't be able to get away with single wall galvanized from a box store like HD or Lowes, or if I have to use double wall insulated.

I have a ~12' run from the bottom of the fireplace to the top of the chimney, but if we subtract the ~2' from the bottom surface of the hearth to the bottom of the flue, I'm working with about a 10' run. The local ACE hardware store (which has a Fireside showroom) quoted me about $250-ish for double wall insulated straight pipe (I think it's Selkirk) along with connectors, silicone and so on, but I was hoping that since it's going into an existing chimney that I could cut the cost of that in half (or more) by using 'cheapo' stuff that's "good enough".

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Single wall in masonry chimney is just fine. This is what I did with my insert running about 15 ft.

Single wall in masonry chimney is just fine. This is what I did with my insert running about 15 ft.
Does it need to be stainless, or can I use (cheapo) galvanized?

Still is burning a wood product so needs to be stainless

Get a SS liner and it will likely outlive your stove. In other words, buy it once.

Fireplace installs require SS liner, preferably all the way to the top with a proper plate and cap at the top. A block off plate near the damper is needed also.

Status
Not open for further replies.