Single wall pipe temps at 400 Deg stove top temp.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
While running the stove tonight(Country Hearth 2000) i happened to put my hand on the flue pipe above the stove and was surprised that it was cool enough that i could keep my hand there indefinitely.So the pipe must have been what,150 Deg? I glanced at the stove top temp gauge and it read 400F. I will be proceeding to check my other stoves to see if i can hold onto the flue pipe with a 400 Deg stove top temp. Next up will be the englander NC-30.

Double-wall pipe? Late in the burn?

Reactions: PapaDave
Double-wall pipe? Late in the burn?
Single wall ,as stated in the title. Im wondering if this is common with other stoves. And does it reflect overall efficiency.

Single wall dissipates heat quickly. How high above the stove are you testing? Was this late in the burn? If not it sounds like you are running cool. Put the thermometer on the stove pipe next time and provide a reading. Is the chimney staying clean?

About 3 feet up from the stove. Yes it was late in the burn. I didnt have my IR temp gauge with me,as this stove in an apartment im renovating ,so didnt get an exact measurement of the pipe temp. Yes chimney is clean.

I had the opportunity to measure the pipe temps with the IR gun. I was way off in my guesstimate of 150 Deg 3 ft up. Pipe is actually 112 Deg with a 400 Deg.stovetop. At 150 deg i could not hold my hand on the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.