Sirocco 20 review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
I did not feel right about doing a review till I got some burn time in so that said it is time.....

Before buying this stove I did a lot of research including posting here. So here is the skinny.

Stove is pretty compact, looks good with the leg kit. It is in a area that is around 720sqft and can take it from 68F to 78F in about 10 minutes. It can also cruise and hold the temp in that room around 75F. I can have a roaring fire going and turn it down to embers in minutes. Stove is very very controllable. I have loaded wood in way before I should have and it is almost the same as loading cold other then it is already at temp. I got the optional blowers. They make a huge difference. I only run them when I go to bed or it will make the room too hot. I need to look at better ways to get air movement.

I also got the ash pan kit. I have not installed it yet. I wanted to make sure I knew how the stove ran normally so I would be able to tell if there was a problem with air leaks in the pan. I will install it sometime over the next 12 months. :p

My only complaint is the fire box is a little small. I can only fit 5-6 small to medium splits in it. That said those 5-6 splits burn for around 10 - 12 hours. At 12 hours usually the cat is even still in the active range and the stove is hot. If I stacked them in tighter I could prob get longer but for us that is enough.

I will update this once I install the ash pan.

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks for the review Rick. Sounds like the beginning of a wonderful friendship.

You should have no probs with that size house or even a little bigger.
12 hour loads are nice and convenient.
Course in the deep cold morning and before bed work well.

My only complaint is the fire box is a little small. I can only fit 5-6 small to medium splits in it. That said those 5-6 splits burn for around 10 - 12 hours. At 12 hours usually the cat is even still in the active range and the stove is hot. If I stacked them in tighter I could prob get longer but for us that is enough.

Not sure that can be a complaint, can't expect too much from a sub 2 cubic foot stove. You mentioned it was compact and seemed to be a good thing, hard to be compact with a large firebox. ;)

Thanks for the review, sounds like that little 1.8 cubic foot stove is doing a nice job for your space!

Thanks for the review. I'm waiting for the Ashford 20 to come out which is the same fire box as the Sirocco. The BK t-stat gives you so much control over the burn its a real winner.

Reactions: alforit and Bster13

That's why they make the Sirocco 30, and the King.

Great review of the stove. I have an earlier version of their 2 cu ft stove, and worried quite a bit about whether it would be big enough, it works well on all but the coldest of days. Once you get used to a long burn, you start seeking the holy grail, and will be rebuilding a king to set in its spot. I'll be finding out if it is too much stove.

I also got the ash pan kit. I have not installed it yet. I wanted to make sure I knew how the stove ran normally so I would be able to tell if there was a problem with air leaks in the pan. I will install it sometime over the next 12 months.
You won't see any air leaks with this design. I'm a big fan of the plug in the floor style ashpans, not only are you in control of how much ash is in the stove but you aren't relying on a single gasket. Ashpan door are the number 1 stove killer in my opinion. Lots of wrecked stoves out there because the door seal was bad!

An odd thing I noticed about these small BKs is that they don't have much of a belly to hold ash before it starts coming out the door. Isn't only about 2 inches deep vs. 6 or 9 on the old BKs?

An odd thing I noticed about these small BKs is that they don't have much of a belly to hold ash before it starts coming out the door. Isn't only about 2 inches deep vs. 6 or 9 on the old BKs?

Its close to 4 inches. I ran it for about a week and a half and still have plenty of room for ash. Thats part of the reason I was not in a hurry to install it.

Webby - Thanks for that info. I was not sure how the ash pan worked in this but I did not want to mess the stove up with it like I have read about on other brands.

Reactions: Highbeam
12 hours is plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.