Size of insert...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stacylu

Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
I'm a newbie trying to decide on what size of gas insert we need for our fireplace. I think we've decided on a Regency but are not sure about which size - medium or large for our house and room

(Medium) U32 - Direct Vent, 30,000 BTU with turn down to 15,000

(Large) U35 - Direct Vent, 35,000 BTU with turn down to 17,500

We have a 15,000 sq ft Ranch style house, one level and the fireplace faces the hallway towards where the bedrooms are. Both will fit our existing fireplace space so that's not a concern. The living room that it will be in is about 17 x 14'

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Stacy

I was getting ready to say, if you can afford house that big, then you shouldn't complain about how much it costs to heat. lol

Yeah - it's not that big... I would have somebody to make these decisions if that was true, especially in our area.

I'm not really that concerned with the $ difference between the two inserts, more with cooking us out of the room.

I also read somewhere about when an insert is turned down that it creates more creosote and more mess.... any other downsides? I assume this is mostly a housekeeping kind of thing but maybe it affects efficiency too? Like I said, I'm a newbie.

Thanks in advance

Creosote is by product of wood burning, or improper wood burning. It's not an issuse with natural gas. I have natural gas furnace and the vent pipe on it hasn't been cleaned in 45 years.

Burning the gas insert on low wont do any damage. You can run it on low all the time without any problems.

Great! Thanks... I guess I didn't pay attention when I read that.

Now about how hot is too hot? Is there a defined formula for how many BTU you need / sq ft house or room?

Lots of variable there stacylu. It depends on your location, time of year, how well the house is insulated, size-quality-and quantity of windows, room size and ceiling height, whether this is a closed off room or part of an open floor plan.

But seeing there isn't that much difference between the medium and the large. I'd go with the large unit unless you live in the south or west.

BeGreen said:
Lots of variable there stacylu. It depends on your location, time of year, how well the house is insulated, size-quality-and quantity of windows, room size and ceiling height, whether this is a closed off room or part of an open floor plan.

But seeing there isn't that much difference between the medium and the large. I'd go with the large unit unless you live in the south or west.

Insulation: Updated in the attic and floor. Nothing in the walls except for few areas we've renovated. In that room there's no insulation in the walls.
Size of windows, In room, large, almost one whole wall is windows.
Ceiling height 92"
Fireplace wall faces the hallway towards 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Behind the fireplace is the garage and on the left of it is the doorway to the open area (kitchen, dining and family room). So the blower will be pushing air down the hall to the bedrooms (past the thermostat also) but not into the main living area.

Thanks for any help!

I have a vent free gas space heater that I used to heat two rooms. The total square footage of those two rooms is 512 square feet. The heater is 10,000 btus on low and 20,0000 on high. I set my furnace on 60 degrees and then used the space heater to warm those two rooms. With a box fan circulating the air, 20,000 was way to high to and 10,000 was still a bit too high once the rooms were up to temperature. Without the fan I could run it on high or low for hours, I suspect. I started using the fan because without it the rooms weren't getting warm. I really don't think gas logs are the way to go if you want to heat a whole house. This space heater will still put a hurting on your gas bill, thats why I just bought a wood insert. If you want to take the chill off a room or two they are great.

OK, as noted, in Seattle, the medium sized unit will cover the majority of the heating needs.

karl brings up a good point, what is the goal - savings, aesthetics, cozy warmth? What is the current heating system - gas forced air? What condition is it in and how are the current heating bills? Are you on natural gas or propane?

Status
Not open for further replies.