Sizing for an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donn2390

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2007
I want to replace my builder installed Heatalator with a gas insert with better efficiency to supplement my FA units. I have a 6 bedroom, four bathroom, single story house, so I am searching for the largest insert I can find.
I don't expect the insert to heat the entire house, just bring up the center living area to a decent temperature so I don't have to run the two FA units so much, or so high. I measured the hole in the brick, (It's not a masonry fireplace, just a brick facade) and it measures 44" wide X 33" high, so I thought I had plenty of room. I stopped by the Fireplace store today, and was told I have to leave the Heaterlator guts in place, and I have to measure just the door area, which reduces my available space to 44X20. That 20" height really limits what I can install, and drastically cuts down on the BTU's available.
The more I research the subject, and the more I learn, the dumber I get...! Now I don't know if it's worth the money to continue. I was hoping for an output of around 40K BTU, but it looks like I will have to downsize considerably from that number.
My fireplace is centrally located in the family room, which is open to the living room, dining room, and kitchen, so it is a very large open area I want to warm. I'm guessing that area may be as much as 2000 sq ft. I don't expect the heat to travel down the halls to the bedrooms, but I would like to bring the temp up in the central area so I don't have to wear several layers of clothing just to survive.
I guess my questions are two.... One, is it true I must leave the Heatalator guts in place, and if so, am I going to find a gas inset that will be able to provide the heat needed?
Two, how do I size the insert I am looking for? I may be totally off base looking for such a huge output. Perhaps I can be happy and warm with far less BTU's...? I am new to the cold country where an insert is necessary, so I have zero experience in such matters.
I have picked the brains of all of the local dealers, and read the heck out of this forum, but I like to be guaranteed of success before I plunk down my cash. The dealers are a good source of information, but I always have in the back of my mind that these people are salesmen who's main interest is in feeding their families, not necessarily pleasing me. I don't mind feeding their families as long as I'm happy with the results. A gas insert is not something I can stick back in the box and return if I'm not satisfied.
I will be grateful for any and all feedback. thank you all in advance.
Gary

One thing I might add, the temperature in my area is mild compared to a lot of the posters in here. In the cold part of winter it is often in the low 30's, occasionally into the 20's, and the coldest I have seen here in the three years I have lived here, is +17. I guessing that sounds like summer to some of you, but my scrawny body ain't made for that..! There was a good reason I moved from Northern Montana many years ago..!!

It will take a while. Very few gas burners in the Forum. Mostly wood and pellet burners.

Ok I skimmed the long post and caught a few things... Gas insert, and someone said you have to leave all the guts in? Hah.... tell them to pick up an install manual. The Heat & Glo unit we install you can take all the refractories out, and cut the bottom out if needed. You do have to leave the inner and outer shell alone but as I said you can take out the refractories and cut the bottom out which gives you a lot of extra room. The smoke baffle and some other things up top can go as well if they are in the way.

I would suggest getting the biggest thing you can fit. You can always turn the flame down to low.

http://www.heatnglo.com/products/inserts/gasInsertDetail.asp?f=07800

Status
Not open for further replies.