Sluggish Fireplace Xtrodinair - Cat issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushfire

Burning Hunk
Nov 19, 2005
Kennett Square, PA
I have a Fireplace Xtrodinair Large Flush Hybrid-Fyre Insert installed a few years ago (see Signature). Past years I've not had the greatest wood, but this year I'm burning woods that are generally 12-18%, more frequently 12-15% and recently I've been unhappy with the performance I'm getting. Loading on a hot bed of coals I have no trouble getting a roaring fire going, but as soon as I close the damper (after about 5-10 minutes when the box is engulfed in flames), the fire dies and has a really hard time catching back up, even at all. As soon as I close the baffle it's like the fire is starved for air (or has no draft), even though I have the air fully open. The fire pulses for about 30 seconds and then generally fades and takes a long time (3-60 minutes) before building up again. Could this be a cat issue (dirty, damaged, need of replacing)? The wood is not the issue as I've tested multiple fresh splits on multiple wood species, and have no trouble getting a fire going with the damper open. It's become such an issue in the past week or so that we rarely lower the air intake at all, running it full open most of the time.

This is our third season, and I'm wondering if my less than ideal wood in years 1 and 2 did a number on the cat. I do sweep the cat about once a week with the brush they provide, but I can't really tell if that's doing anything as you can't see easily up to the Cat as you're doing that (unless your a contortionist).

Any words of wisdom out there from other Fireplace Xtrodinair owners or others who may have an inkling of what's going on?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yeah, there is something wrong. My wood is not even nearly dry as yours but I have no problem with starting fire. If firebox is full of fire there is no slowing down after closing bypass. And I start to close air like half way after 5 min. Then closing 9/10 in 15 min or so. Cat is glowing, fire is on. My chimney is 15 ft tall. So draft is not crazy. Last year, I think, we had a member who was unhappy with performance of insert. His cat was clogged when inspected by pros. Do you see your cat glowing after closing bypass? Does fire pick up if you open bypass?

Yeah, there is something wrong. My wood is not even nearly dry as yours but I have no problem with starting fire. If firebox is full of fire there is no slowing down after closing bypass. And I start to close air like half way after 5 min. Then closing 9/10 in 15 min or so. Cat is glowing, fire is on. My chimney is 15 ft tall. So draft is not crazy. Last year, I think, we had a member who was unhappy with performance of insert. His cat was clogged when inspected by pros. Do you see your cat glowing after closing bypass? Does fire pick up if you open bypass?
I also have a one story chimney, but even with a short chimney I get good draft with the baffle open. Yes, the fire picks up if I open the bypass, and I get spotty glowing on the cat, so I' beginning to think the cat is clogged in places. :-( How does one go about fixing that issue? From the looks of the quoted thread it involves a shop vac and paint brush (or the angled brush they provide). Like I said before, I've been using the brush, but don't feel as though I get a good angle on it, and if I'm not using a shop vac, too, then what I do remove probably just gets sucked back in immediately once the fire gets gong again.

I just wish it was more easily accessed as you can't see what you're doing and whether you're actually making a difference. I also get nervous about vacuuming the cat and sucking up some hot ember that may light up my shop vac. I guess I'll check the forecast and see if there is a warmer day that I can just let it die right down and do the cleaning. I'll then just place the shop vac outside, just in case it decides to combust :)

Hopefully, that'll do it as I really don't want to have to try and remove the cat. I'll also make a note of asking the sweep to inspect the cat this year during their work.

Get a compressed air canister, like is used on electronics and keyboards. Blow out the cat. Also check the screen on your liner cap, make sure it's not clogged up.

Just to make sure, the wood you tested was room temp? Not frozen?

I don't clean cat very often, may be once every two weeks if even that. I don't feel that brush they provided does much. Can't think of a way to inspect cat without removing it. May be you can shine some light trough bypass door when its open toward the cat and see how it looks from outside.

Get a compressed air canister, like is used on electronics and keyboards. Blow out the cat. Also check the screen on your liner cap, make sure it's not clogged up.

Just to make sure, the wood you tested was room temp? Not frozen?

The compressed air canister is a great idea, thanks. I know the screen on my chimney cap is clear as I can see it every time I leave or come home.

Wood wasn't room temp, but not frozen. In the garage and we've been running temps in the 40s. I have a few splits inside, so I'll check those tomorrow.

I don't clean cat very often, may be once every two weeks if even that. I don't feel that brush they provided does much. Can't think of a way to inspect cat without removing it. May be you can shine some light trough bypass door when its open toward the cat and see how it looks from outside.
I'll try the light idea. I'm convinced more than ever that it's a cat issue as I've had real trouble this evening with small and dry splits. Fire lights up a treat with the bypass open, but dies and pulses with the bypass closed -like the air has nowhere to go and the fire ignites every couple of seconds. I think I'll let the regular heat source kick in for 36 hours and let the stove cool down and do a good clean/inspection on Tuesday evening.

Holy cow, every 2 weeks? Once annually is typically sufficient. I'm surprised to hear this, maybe having no flame shield contributes to the problem?

Holy cow, every 2 weeks? Once annually is typically sufficient. I'm surprised to hear this, maybe having no flame shield contributes to the problem?
By cleaning I mean just brushing lightly the cat between reloads.

So, for an update: using spray air and a shop vac, I thoroughly cleaned the cat and it's night and day. Haven't been burning the last few days because of a variety of issues. Finally loaded the stove tonight with six small splits of various wood, all in the 12-16% range. Let it burn for about 10 minutes with the baffle open, closed the baffle and no slow down on the fire at all. Cat lit up instantly, and I could lower the air for rampant secondaries almost immediately. Just night and day I tell you, night and day. Lesson learned - keep a few cans of air on hand and clean that cat more often.

First image is with baffle open, second one taken right after I closed it.

In love again.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: webby3650
Congrats . Going to get one of those air spray bottles as well.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Reactions: Bushfire