Small Ecoteck Francesca question for the experts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip B

Nov 11, 2013
Boston, MA
Ecoteck Francesca (2011).

Last year, we used mixed wood pellets. This year, we bought some hardwood pellets.
I see a few hints for Ecotecks on the forum, but nothing definitive. So I'll ask what must be a common question, just in case Ecotecks are odd.
The stove's behaviour has so changed, and you folks seem to continue on where the manuals leave off....

Symptoms.

Flame is not fierce, but it cups out -- forms a curved bowl of flame -- at the bottom where the pellets are overflowing the firepot.
White yellow at 4 inches from the firebox, orange for the rest.
Some little fires occur around the ashpan cover, where single pellets are burning.
Pellets are burnt solid (caramelised) along the top edge of the firebox when it's burning.
Lots of black ash in the firebox after the nightly Final Cleaning.
Flame curls right around the heat exchangers and then maybe halfway back to the firebox.
Flame does not diminish and rise up again during Work Modulating, which was last year's behaviour. Flame always fills the box.
If it matters, the stove has a 4-foot horizontal exhaust out the wall.

Last year, for the hardwood-softwood pellets, Maine Woods Blend, it worked well at
Pellets -1, draught +1.

For the Barefoot Super PRemium Hardwood Pellt Fuel, I currently have:
Pellets -4 draught +1

Startup set by the technician was
Ecoteck
ECT2008
BANCA 000
RECIPES Low Draft

My current strategy is to reduce the Pellets setting and watch for 15 minutes.
How do I get the flames down, and the char reduced? Anything else, besides Pellet and Draught, that I should be looking at?

Thanks very much for your advice.

Sounds like it needs a better cleaning! Our Elena had issue when I first got it and found the rear clean outs.

+1 Your problem not too much pellets, but too little air. "Flame is not fierce", "orange", "caramelized" pellets, "Lots of black ash" are classic symptoms. You might have an air leak (you can do the dollar bill test on the door gasket), but more likely there is ash accumulated in the stove or exhaust venting.

not over feeding but under airing. I have this stove in my kitchen, You fore and aft rods of the heat exchanger are going to be solid rock like ash and I imagine the scraper rod doesn't travel back and forth the full distance like it use to. FYI with no vertical in yer install your recipe should be "scarce" draft not "low"

Thanks a lot. I'll start increasing the Draught.

The ash is gritty, not fluffy. Is that about draft too, or a feature of the Barefoot hardwood pellets?

Scott, did you mean I should clean the exchangers?

The ash is gritty, not fluffy. Is that about draft too, or a feature of the Barefoot hardwood pellets?

I have found Barefoots to have a heavy (weight wise) and gritty hardwood typical ash. Great heat, they like a lot of air as they are a dense pellet.

Have you don a "full" cleaning ?
Pull the side panels off and :
1) open the clean-out hatches (rectangular plates with 2 bolts) and vacuum out the rear exhaust passage.
2) remove the philips head screws around the exhaust blower and vaccum out the blower housing
3) Clean out your flue pipe and any elbows or Ts.
4) Make sure your OAK duct is clear (wasp nests...critters..)

I have an Elena with a 5 foot all-horizontal flue, 4 inch diameter, and I use the "low draft" setting.

Send me your email in the private message (Conversation) feature of this forum and I can send you a copy of the Factory Service Manual.

Thanks again. I'll clean the exchangers. I'm at Pellets -5, Draught +2, and the flame is behaving itself now, even during Modulating Work. I'll increase the Draught to +3 and then leave well alone Yes, I did that thorough 1-2-3-4 cleaning this past summer. And I'll keep the "low draft" recipe.

You guys are great to take the effort.

We're using the leaf blower trick on a very regular basis and seems to keep that pesky rear of the unit from accumulating ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.