Small home, soapstone advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy197

Oct 3, 2016
Homer, AK
Hi,

I am new to wood burning. I am building a new timberframe cabin near Homer, AK at elevation 1,100 feet - normal winter temperatures are in the 20's, can get down to single digits on some nights, also can get very windy. New cabin is well-insulated, but big south-facing (double pane) windows. Two story, garage underneath, living space on top, cathedral ceiling, 24 x 24 feet - about 600 square feet on each floor. Foundation is slab on grade, insulated below slab. Will have supplemental oil heater (direct vent Laser 56) downstairs in garage to heat that space and so I can have heat when I'm not in town or in shoulder season (will open door to downstairs). I would like to install a wood stove as the primary heat upstairs. I would also like to be able to sit in front of the fire in the evenings and see the flames. Local stove dealer suggested a Hearthstone Tribute (1.2 cu ft firebox, 16" max log length). Main wood around here is sitka spruce which I know isn't the highest quality, but that's what is here. I will use well-seasoned (dry) wood. I am concerned that the Tribute stove is so tiny that I will be constantly need to be adding wood, and 16" logs are not the standard size up here, so if I purchase firewood I'll have to be cutting everything (plan to cut and split most of my own, but still....)

I would like to move one size up in the Hearthstone line to the Castleton (1.9 cu ft firebox, 18" log size) but I also don't want to cook myself out of the house. I don't like a really hot room (68 is fine) but have no issue cracking a window, the house is quite airtight so I will probably do that anyway to get the appropriate fresh air input (I have to admit that it's odd that new houses have all these requirements to make them airtight but then you are supposed to install an expensive air exchanger to get fresh air in - sorry, just an aside). Anyway, I understand that the soapstone will help even out the heating capabilities of the wood stove, and that I can build a smaller hot fire in the larger stove, and I do not want to build cool, smoldering fires that will cause creosote build up. I also don't want to purchase a stove that will cook me out of the house. I searched and have not found too many discussions on these smaller wood stoves. Anyone have any experience or advice? Thank you!

In a small place perhaps consider a catalytic stove for lower heating capability over an extended period of time. I would look at the Woodstock Keystone (purchase direct) or the Blaze King Ashford 20 or 30. In non-cats I would look at 2.0cu ft stoves. The Castleton would be about the right size. Just burn a partial load of fuel when you need less heat and let it go out if the day is going to end up nice and the sun warms up the house.

You are right that the sub 2 CF stoves are just decorations. I would not consider less than 2CF for any non-cat that is expected to provide primary heat. You won't likely make it overnight on such small stoves.

I own a hearthstone. I think it is awesome pretty, but I would rate it poor in the heat department, and fire retention department. If I did it again I would buy a Blaze King. The hearthstone takes a LONG time to heat up and the stone slows heat transfer to your room, effectively sending the heat up your chimney instead of into your room.

My Grandfather lived over in Peterson Bay for many years. I spent a lot of my youth out in the ocean near Homer.

A cathedral ceiling has a higher volume than a traditional room. I think you can safely oversize a stove.

Woodstock. The Absolute is steel on the outside but soapstone on the inside and is a hybrid design.

Reactions: toddnic
A cathedral ceiling has a higher volume than a traditional room. I think you can safely oversize a stove.

Agreed. Our home is timber framed with cathedral ceilings as well. It takes a lot of heat to warm the area. Ceiling fans help but it still takes a lot of btus to keel the entire area warm. Our home is older and probably not as well insulated but I recommend going as big as you can with a stove.

It has been said many times, if you don't need as much heat build a smaller fire in a big stove but can't build a bigger fire in a small stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much of your flue pipe will be in cold space?

The flue pipe will be 6" double wall, most of it within the house; stove will be installed on top floor, close to the peak of the roof, so probably 12+ feet of it will be inside, then several feet outside - plan to install a directional chimney cap due to high wind.

I was looking at the Woodstock, but anticipate that shipping costs to AK will be prohibitive (but I will call and ask).

I originally was looking at Blaze Kings, but saw a used one (3-4 years old) that had awful creosote build up inside, and the owner said he ran it at low heat output, but the glass was always dirty so you couldn't really enjoy looking at the fire (plus you've got to admit they're not the nicest-looking stoves) so then was looking at Hearthstone for more even heat distribution without the catalytic option.

I appreciate everyone's input!

The flue pipe will be 6" double wall, most of it within the house; stove will be installed on top floor, close to the peak of the roof, so probably 12+ feet of it will be inside, then several feet outside - plan to install a directional chimney cap due to high wind.

I was looking at the Woodstock, but anticipate that shipping costs to AK will be prohibitive (but I will call and ask).

I originally was looking at Blaze Kings, but saw a used one (3-4 years old) that had awful creosote build up inside, and the owner said he ran it at low heat output, but the glass was always dirty so you couldn't really enjoy looking at the fire (plus you've got to admit they're not the nicest-looking stoves) so then was looking at Hearthstone for more even heat distribution without the catalytic option.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Catalytic or hybrid stoves typically are burnt low and slow clouding up the glass. However, they can also be run hotter and will self clean the glass. You can run the stove however you want.

A catalytic stove on a medium burn is probably making as much heat as a regular epa stove on a low burn. So the advantage of a catalytic or hybrid stove is the ability to lower the heat output to a very minimal setting. This controls the off gassing of the wood and prolongs the burn time.

With the double wall and with so much of the flue inside, you may not have all that much creosote, especially if it's a straight run.

I would recommend going with a larger stove.

I have a Progress. Woodstock downplays their attributes, which for instance, I didn't know that I have double pane glass until after a year of owning it. This keeps the inner glass super heated, thus clean. I have cleaned the glass once in 2 years.
If you can get hydronic radiant in your floor the height of the ceiling won't matter much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.