Small scrounge,wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom123

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2014
East Granby CT
Hi: I saw this wood on the. Side of the road on my way home from work so I went back with the truck and MS250. Is this ash? 2491ff5312ec2683b5a3cd0bdae0dfc6.jpg

As long as the guy who piled it on the side of the road wasn't on the way home to get his truck...!!!

Sorry couldn't resist...;lol

Reactions: D8Chumley
Both bark and wood seem like ash to me. If it feels relatively lightweight for its size, that would be more confirmation. Btw, regarding ash, my limited experience with it told me that it was sending the moisture meter right up on green wood as much as any other species. Cannot imagine old timers burning the stuff green.

No leaves. I'm pretty sure it is ash. I actually noticed it a few days ago.

Great scrounge

As long as the guy who piled it on the side of the road wasn't on the way home to get his truck...!!!

Sorry couldn't resist...;lol
Had a neighbor down the street having an Oak been felled by a tree service, on my lunch hour I saw the rounds all cut on the side of the road, asked the lady if I could take it, she says "Those SOB's were supposed to take it.....you want it, you can have it", called my buddy, and got both trucks loaded, leaving just a couple behind......I went back to get the last of it (3 rounds), and there was the tree service, just back from lunch picking up what we left:p

idk....looks more hickory to me (bitternut). but i'm not in your area so you may not have that species near you.

just another thought, either way SCORE!!!

Could be Norway Maple too. Split a few open and show us again. Leaning toward hickory.

Cannot imagine old timers burning the stuff green.

In the summer ash gets to 45% moisture content, in a very cold winter that usually drops down to the mid to upper 20's, now is you have a old smoke dragon you could burn it, obviously it wouldn't burn that hot and it would sure be smoky.
I remember when I was a kid maybe 7 or 8 yrs old we had a brutally cold winter think is was 1992, my uncle was bragging to my dad that he dropped a live maple and was able to burn it that night because the cold "sucked the sap right to the ground" I think it was below zero for high temps for 2 weeks straight.

I split a couple open after work. It's definitely Ash. This round split with one whack. 66f57e178fea4700bd9128ca9948fccd.jpg5aeb919a910d8d36fe6c6c8c4de91b2e.jpg

Last edited:
I should mention this split measured 25% moisture in the center. Tree was standing dead. It will go on the shoulder stack for next year.

idk....looks more hickory to me (bitternut). but i'm not in your area so you may not have that species near you.

Agreed. I'm thinking it's not ash. The furrows aren't deep enough.

Agreed. I'm thinking it's not ash. The furrows aren't deep enough. I have a hickory in my back yard, and that sure looks like the bark.

I think you have BOTH Ash and Hickory; the rounds in the middle of the first picture look like Ash bark, but the rounds closer look like Hickory to me.

In the summer ash gets to 45% moisture content, in a very cold winter that usually drops down to the mid to upper 20's, now is you have a old smoke dragon you could burn it, obviously it wouldn't burn that hot and it would sure be smoky.
I remember when I was a kid maybe 7 or 8 yrs old we had a brutally cold winter think is was 1992, my uncle was bragging to my dad that he dropped a live maple and was able to burn it that night because the cold "sucked the sap right to the ground" I think it was below zero for high temps for 2 weeks straight.

good call, the ash I'm thinking of was cut up in September, therefore probably wetter than in winter.

The rounds in the middle to back are definitely ash that we have here in CT. I just bucked some up today myself. The ones closer on the right are something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.