Small Stove (600 sq ft) for Basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazgul

Dec 5, 2011
Eastern PA
I'm working on finishing my basement and would like to heat it via a small wood stove. The house is relatively new and has superior walls, which means it's pre-studded and insulated. Right now it's nice almost year around down there, albeit a chillier in the winter. I leave in Eastern PA so our winters can be so-so. I also have moved my dogs down there into a section of the basement all for them and would like to have something that I can use to keep the basement slightly warmer.

Right now I'm thinking about the Vermont Castings Aspen and Jotul F 602 CB. Also does anyone have any liner recommendations? I have a Hearthstone Heritage upstairs which I use to heat the rest of my house and I got a Flex King Pro Chimney Liner from Chimney Liner Depot and it wasn't cheap! Unfortunately since this is in my basement I'm going to have to go a looooong ways down with the liner. :-/

Flex King Pro is gonna run you around five or six hundred for a 35 foot kit to a basement. That just ain't bad for a good liner. And it is a really good liner.

Otherwise jump on eBay and grab one. A really nice little stove to look at would be the Jotul F100. I loved mine when I had my office in the basement. Not a long burner but a great view of the fire and lots of radiant heat out from the glass in the door.

Wish you were closer. I need to sell the F100 since I don't use it down there anymore.

Those are both cool looking little stoves. Another option is a Woodstock Keystone. Its a small soap stone, cat stove. Should give a slower more even heat. You have to buy direct from the manufacturer. That may be a drawback for you. Good luck!

I'm looking around $1-1.5k new and whatever used, I've been skimming through the forums and found the Morso 14** and Dutchwest 2460 (small) as possible alternatives. I did look at the Woodstock Keystone but that's way way outside my price range, should of mentioned that up front! :p Oh and the Englander VL-17 was also mentioned, but I like the option to put a nice pot on the top and make some cider and not sure if the Englander would do that well? That's not a deal-breaker, more a nice to have.

x2 for the Jotuls (602 or Nordic will stay in price range). A small steel stove (Eco-choice ws18,) would be good too. Good luck with the search.

I bought a country hearth ,the smallest one they make the 2000 model. for a small space. At $500-$600 From TSC its a good value for the money and an EPA stove. About 2 CF interior. Im heating about 600+ Sq ft Apt with it. MIght use it for my cabin eventually. THe down side to a small stove is overnight burns are not always guaranteed ,but if your space has some insulation or heat retention qualities that wont be a problem.

Not sure what kind of burn times your looking for but the 602 may not get you to morning like others will.

Status
Not open for further replies.