Small stove/insert split size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clearblue16

Jan 14, 2009
Seattle
Hello,I have a hampton hi200 that will take 16 inch max size, however it seems to be easier and burn better by taking a 16 inch split and cutting it up into 4 or 5 inch chunks....do people with small units stuff small chunks to fill the firebox or just a couplefull length logs?

The smaller the piece the faster it (usually) gets burning good, but the faster it burns up, too.
Larger pieces can take longer to get going but last a lot longer.
So depending on the season and what my plans for the fire are I might use all large splits, all small chunks, or a mix.

I have a Lopi Answer - rated for 16" splits, but it will fit a little longer than 17". I use a mix of splits that are ~16" long and of varying size - anywhere from 1" x 2" to 3 x 3". Occasionally, I'll have a bunch of chunks left over from cutting some longer pieces down to size. I burn those too, but I don't notice anything different about the burn. I wouldn't go out of my way to burn chunks instead of splits.

Well I don't have a real small firebox, but I do throw some chunks in there from time to time . . . mostly "left overs" from cutting up wood that was too long for the firebox. As Cearbhaill has said smaller pieces typically burn faster . . . most likely due to the fact that there is more surface area and more "air gaps" in the fire box . . . plus I suspect they dry quicker compared to larger pieces of wood cut at the same time.

I don't really save them for any special occasions . . . just burn a load when I'm home and when I have enough to throw into the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.