smell of smoke in house from wood furnace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kwhelan

Mar 21, 2020
Newfoundland
currently have a wood/oil combo forced air furnace in my basement. while the burning wood i am getting a smell of smoke in the house. chimney draft is good, not getting no back draft through the door while lighting or refilling. i have return air in main living area and one in the basement which is half complete. the area where the furnace is, is unfinished. The wood and oil share the same flue and chimney with non barometric damper. i am thinking it mabye something to do with negative pressure. any ideas or advice would be helpful. House is newly built with mabye 15 fires burnt in the furncae and it is not the smell of new coming from the furncae, it sticks to your clothes after so long. thanks

Try cracking a basement window open a bit, see if it goes away. If it does, your house is either too tight, or you need to air seal better, especially on the upper level...but either way, it means you need an outside air source (make up air) to the basement.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/very-poor-chimney-draw.170135/post-2282690 Kind of along the same lines.