Smoke billowing from everywhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

daytr1pper

Sep 24, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Hello
We have an ACR Trinity Multifuel Stove which from new has given us quite a few issues. Initially I thought I was getting it wrong as when I shut the door after first lighting it the flames went out, firebox filled with smoke which subsequently billowed out of flue joint, edges of closed door, ash pan drawer. Basically anywhere it could and filling the room with smoke.
Next occasion I got it burning well with kindling and built up red embers before adding dry seasoned hardwood. Seemed fine at first but still -

1. Randomly puffs smoke from the first flue joint.
2. Smoke and ash enter room on re loading. Even if I gently crank door for half a minute before fully opening
3. Burns wood without issue. A bit too quickly in my opinion
4. No room for error when lighting

Installers have been called back several times. Works include -
1. Different type of cowl
2. Extended flue well above eaves
3. Fitted air vent through external wall behind stove
4. Sealed flue joint which has since broken away

We are stumped here and any expert advice or recommendations would be much appreciated, please

What is the outdoor temperature? This sounds like poorly seasoned firewood. The problem may be made worse if the outside temperature is mild, say above 12ºC.

Try running the stove with some construction cut-offs of wall-stud lumber. Here we would call them 2x4s. Not sure what they are called in England. That should be known, dry wood.

The random puffs could be what we call puffbacks. This can happen when the air is turned down too much and the wood starts to smolder. When a flame rekindles, it ignites the wood gases in the smoke that has filled the firebox. This creates a small explosion that puffs smoke out of any seam or opening.

Last edited:
Would you post a photo of the current setup.
I have single wall 90 degree ell connected to single wall stovepipe leading into a tee connected to my flue. I have had those small puff backs in my stove before and never had smoke leaks from any of the stove pipe joints. I have just 3 screws in each joint and no sealant.
And it seems like the door gasket is not working properly if you have smoke leaking around the edges of the door.

You mention getting the flue above the eaves, but that could still only be 10' from ground level. How tall is the whole flue from stove connector to cap/top?

What is the outdoor temperature? This sounds like poorly seasoned firewood. The problem may be made worse if the outside temperature is mild, say above 12ºC.

Try running the stove with some construction cut-offs of wall-stud lumber. Here we would call them 2x4s. Not sure what they are called in England. That should be known, dry wood.

The random puffs could be what we call puffbacks. This can happen when the air is turned down too much and the wood starts to smolder. When a flame rekindles, it ignites the wood gases in the smoke that has filled the firebox. This creates a small explosion that puffs smoke out of any seam or opening.
Thanks
Outside temperature from below zero to just above 10c
Have tried various wood including CLS Timber as we call it in England ;)

You mention getting the flue above the eaves, but that could still only be 10' from ground level. How tall is the whole flue from stove connector to cap/top?
thanks
House is 6m from FFL to eaves and the flue extends 2m above eaves after crank around gutter
Over 26’ in imperial ;)

Last edited:
Would you post a photo of the current setup.
I have single wall 90 degree ell connected to single wall stovepipe leading into a tee connected to my flue. I have had those small puff backs in my stove before and never had smoke leaks from any of the stove pipe joints. I have just 3 screws in each joint and no sealant.
And it seems like the door gasket is not working properly if you have smoke leaking around the edges of the door.
thanks

Attachments

• ABE7EDC1-E78B-48ED-A5CA-DAFC3CC20815.jpeg
    ABE7EDC1-E78B-48ED-A5CA-DAFC3CC20815.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 88
thanks
House is 6m from FFL to eaves and the flue extends 2m above eaves after crank around gutter
Over 26’ in imperial ;)
That should be enough chimney to pull a good draft, even with the couple of jogs. Is your house fairly new? I bet you don't have a lot of outside air coming in and the fire is wanting to pull air in through the flue and then exhaust into the house when you open the door. The fire requires fresh air to burn properly and your house might be very tight. Try opening a nearby window when first lighting the stove. Having an outdoor flue also doesn't help and my cookstove with a through the wall chimney can be a pain on cold starts.

The puffs from the flue collar could be unburnt gasses igniting and then creating positive pressure inside of your stove.

That should be enough chimney to pull a good draft, even with the couple of jogs. Is your house fairly new? I bet you don't have a lot of outside air coming in and the fire is wanting to pull air in through the flue and then exhaust into the house when you open the door. The fire requires fresh air to burn properly and your house might be very tight. Try opening a nearby window when first lighting the stove. Having an outdoor flue also doesn't help and my cookstove with a through the wall chimney can be a pain on cold starts.
Thanks
Yes when it is going it burns well. A bit too well in my opinion as we are constantly reloading with logs.
A friend suggested the window opening and it did seem to improve with lighting the stove but we still get those random puffs of smoke during burning. Even if we don’t see them the whole house smells like a bonfire.
House is 1936 but we have doubled the size of it and the room where the stove is located is new.
The installers returned and fitted a vent as they thought about that.
I had no idea that you have to be absolutely bang on when lighting these things, no room for error otherwise we have a room full of smoke

Here’s an example of many
That's terrible. So far it sounds like you and the installer have done everything right. Are you always seeing flame on the wood in the firebox?

We don't have this stove here but it looks like a very simple burner with just a baffle. This leads me to think the wood is smoldering?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Sounds like a small-ish stove is being run too low. Multi Fuel stoves are notorious for being hungry on wood, so I don't blame the OP for trying to slow it down.

Reactions: begreen
Here’s an example of many
The only thing I can think of is a possible air leak in that bottom section of stove pipe. Perhaps try a stick of incense with no fire in the stove and go around that stove pipe to see if the smoke from the incense is drawn into the stove pipe.
You should have a constant draft if the air vent is open with door closed. An air leak above the stove would weaken the draft from the air vents in the stove.

Sounds like a small-ish stove is being run too low. Multi Fuel stoves are notorious for being hungry on wood, so I don't blame the OP for trying to slow it down.
Looking at the schematic for the stove, it appears to be as basic as a stove from the 1970s. If efficient heating is the goal, this is the wrong stove.

thanks for your opinion on our choice of stove but currently just looking for assistance and guidance with the smoke issue
Don' t let the fire smolder.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It will probably do a better job burning anthracite coal or some kind of coal briquette than trying to burn wood in it.