smoke dragons?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketboy

Aug 7, 2009
central ontario
wondered why older stoves are called smoke dragons? we have an old lakewood and i only have smoke for approx 5 min after loading the stove or upon a cold chimney.

I believe it was because most of them aren't nearly as clean burning as new stoves and tend to send a lot of smoke up the chimney. With the EPA ratings, most pre-EPA stoves are considered to be not nearly as efficient; I'm sure this is because many of the Mfgs put a lot of science into the new burning techniques and have greatly lowered their unburned particle output. I do believe that my 1970's era Jotul 118 burns quite clean when hot...of course, this is just a feeling. :D

Fact is that a non-epa stove will probably NEVER burn as clean as the EPA - BUT - that doesn't mean that a properly burning old stove cant do a good job. The term comes from the huge old stoves that were loaded with tons of wood (often green) and then cranked down to a smolder, with the chimneys looking like an old steam engine pulling a load up a hill.

If you run an older stove with good temps, you will not get the billowing smoke that the smoke dragons are known for. (good, dry wood too)

Jags said:
Fact is that a non-epa stove will probably NEVER burn as clean as the EPA - BUT - that doesn't mean that a properly burning old stove cant do a good job. The term comes from the huge old stoves that were loaded with tons of wood (often green) and then cranked down to a smolder, with the chimneys looking like an old steam engine pulling a load up a hill.

If you run an older stove with good temps, you will not get the billowing smoke that the smoke dragons are known for. (good, dry wood too)
Well said!

I know of a few "dragons" in my area. I can tell you that the users are not doing anything to support clean burning. This is unfortunate because they can be a somewhat clean burn. The wood is a big part but it is hard to tell anyone about it, they like I, will not know until they use truly dry wood to burn...

Status
Not open for further replies.