Smoke Exhaust - Low vs High Mount

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ace123

Dec 19, 2023
Oregon
I have an old wood stove I use to heat my large/2 story shop to work on cars. The single layer smoke exhaust pipes were built originally to go straight up ~6-10ft, then had a 90 deg elbow to send it out the side of the building, then another 90 deg elbow to send it just above the roof line where it had a top piece that covered it from rain and prevented birds from making nests. I recently removed those pipes since they are too old and the heat destroyed parts of the pipe.

As I look to replace it, I'm thinking double or triple layer pipes are better/safer but much more expensive. So I want to use the least amount of pipe as necessary to make the project as cheap as possible. Is there a problem with me taking a 90 deg elbow right off of the top of the stove and sending it directly out the side of my shop for what I'll call a "low mount" design vs. the "high mount" design that I had previously that goes up higher and mounts a the top of my roof? With the low mount option, I would just cut off the pipe maybe a foot from the outside wall, put a screen over it and be done so I don't have to buy pipes that extend all the way to the roof. Is there a different saftey hazard to this design besides someone walking by the exhaust and potentially getting burned? I'm not really worried about anyone getting burned walking by the exhaust coming out the side of the shop since I'm the only that ever goes by it.

Stove needs a chimney to draw the smoke out and air in. It won't burn with just a pipe straight out the back. Chimney's minimum height are usually around 13-15Ft depending on your stove. The chimney acts like a vacuum pulling air into your stove.

FWIW, woodstoves are not permitted in garages or any place where gasoline is stored.

I would just cut off the pipe maybe a foot from the outside wall, put a screen over it and be done so I don't have to buy pipes that extend all the way to the roof. Is there a different saftey hazard to this design besides someone walking by the exhaust and potentially getting burned?
Yes, there are multiple serious hazards with this proposal. In addition to the important function of providing draft, the chimney also moves hot flue gases away from combustibles.