smoke extraction fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mark123

Jan 27, 2009
PEI, Canada
Does anyone here have the AHS smoke hood fan? Is it 100% effective at eliminating smoke when loading? Are there other manufacturers of similar fans/hoods? I currently have one a made up myself from a 400cfm all metal squirrel cage fan I bought from of all places a hydroponics supply place I found while searching for fans. It has worked for a few years but it has recently died and I need to replace it with something . I noticed the AHS moves 485 cfm so it might be a bit better as well.

Not 100%, I think that is not realistic without some serious fan & ducting but it works well and that 85cfm might be enough difference to make it worth it. The fan/motor is an "off the shelf" Dayton (Grainger) unit. You might fit that into what you already have.

in the description it says "quality molded impeller" does this mean the impeller is plastic? if so it wouldn't be any good for this application

Why? Mine is exposed to far more temperature variation than a boiler room would see. Zero problems. Your mileage may vary I suppose...

Why? Mine is exposed to far more temperature variation than a boiler room would see. Zero problems. Your mileage may vary I suppose...

For my original homemade blower I used 12 volt marine engine bay blowers with plastic impellers, they melted and they were a good 6 feet down the ductwork, that's why I went with the hydroponic all metal one the next time.

Yikes...If you're melting plastic in your exhaust hood 6' downstream I think you may have other problems. Even during my most violently ill timed reloads I would have never seen this kind of heat coming out of my boiler door.

So yeah...I'll take back my original suggestion. It's not meant to handle actual flames! Wow...

The AHS fan made a world of difference for us. I normally start the fan and let it run a good 30 sec before opening the loading door just to be sure a good "draft" is happening. Probably not 100% but it is fairly effective. That inline at 720 cfm must move a lot of air. I wouldn't have a problem with a plastic impeller on our boiler.

Has anyone tried an off the shelf ducted range hood?

Great idea. I just checked home depots website and the have one for $243 Canadian that moves 680cfm and uses 6" round duct work that I already have installed. I am going to get one and see if it is all metal.

Panasonic offers a wide range of exhaust fans, some of which move a ton of air. I have one installed in my main bathroom and it hooks up to a 6 inch duct. You will find that the majority of exhaust fans are squirrel cage type and not so many where the drive motor is in the exhaust stream.

I have just what you need. It's a large squirrel cage blower that was part of a downdraft exhaust on a Jenn Aire range I salvaged before I brought it to recycling. Couldn't bear to see it junked. It's been under the workbench in the back of my garage for 12 years. If you lived across the street I'd bring it over to you and present it to you as a gift.