Smoke out of vent pipe at startup.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
13C2EE57-A8AB-41E3-AD4C-29219A3A987C.jpeg B00FECD4-7527-4460-A73B-1886C0D90A31.jpeg Just had new castle serenity stove installed yesterday. Looks good overall. In playing around a bit with it, I noticed a slight smoke smell when I start it up from after its been off. I turned light off and shined flashlight on exhaust pipe in back of stove. Saw some wispy smoke around pipe, which disappeared once pellets ignited. I just emailed the installer putting in this inquiry. FWIW, this is a basement install in a walk out basement. What do you all think?

They may need to re apply the sealant between the stove and the chimney piping.
There are pictures on this site of many folks also using a high temp tape at all piping connections. In your pictures, I do not see anything that looks suspect. Once you start the stove and the chimney gets warm, it will actually draw smoke up and out. So likely just the seal where the chimney pipe meets the stove needs to re sealed. IMO.

3 items I've used to seal pipe joints.
Aluminum Tape is easiest to use, but can loosen if temp is to high for its adhesive.

Silicon Tape works very well, is a bit expensive, but never a problem removing it for any repair in the future.

RTV/High-Temp silicone Works well, but a bugger to remove if you need to remove /fix/repair the pipe.

3 items I've used to seal pipe joints.
Aluminum Tape is easiest to use, but can loosen if temp is to high for its adhesive.

Silicon Tape works very well, is a bit expensive, but never a problem removing it for any repair in the future.

RTV/High-Temp silicone Works well, but a bugger to remove if you need to remove /fix/repair the pipe.

Silicone tape works well, is available in a variety of colors (to match pipe), and is easy to remove if needed. I also wrap all elbow joints as that seems to be a common place of leakage.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Most piping requires high temperature silicone connecting the stove adapter to the exhaust flue of the stove. Was there a reason for the 45’s outside?

I believe it was to gain further clearance from window.