Smoke smell from heat tubes on pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bige410

Nov 13, 2011
South East PA
Hey guys, forgive me if this is posted somewhere already, tried to look and came up with nothing like Im about to explain. I recently bought a Enviro EF2. It was 30% off and it fit the bill so I figured Id give it a try. The dealer told me it was discontinued but didn't really explain why, Id like to know if someone happens to know.

Anyway I got home, read the manual and installed it. I went direct horizontal vent. I used that high temp RTV silicone and am pretty sure all my connections are good. Fired her up for the first time and noticed a smoke smell. Wasn't really sure where it was coming from but didn't think a whole lot of it. As the night went on it got worse and worse. On further investigating I can smell it the most blowing out the front with the warm air. I was under the assumption this shouldn't really smell. Now I know they can have a smell if their new but the dealer had already burnt it a few times. Im just curious as to why it would be coming out the front like this.

I apparently have a sensitive nose cause I had my parents and neighbors over and they say they can notice it but that its not overwelming like Im making it out to be. It does bother me tho to be honest and If its normal Im not sure if Ill ever get use to it. It almost gives me a headache.

PS I have a CO detector and fire alarms and non have gone off, I dont see a smoke haze or anything either and when I put my face in front of it I can smell the smoke but it doesn't burn my nose or eyes like real smoke does. Im at a loss here.

Thanks in advance.

Turn off all the lights start the stove fresh , when the stove first ignites check your connections on the stove with a bright beam flashlight you should find the leak at that point.

Welcome to the forum.

The curing smell can last until the stove has been baked at its highest firing rate.

It is also possible for stuff to have accumulated in the room air side (kids have been known to put crayons in the heat tubes etc... )

In short anything close to the hot surfaces inside the stove shell can char/burn and provide plenty of smelly stuff for the convection blower to pull in and spit out the front via the heat exchangers tubes.

But the number one cause is a leak in the exhaust system.

You need to go looking for a leak, the easiest way to find one is in the dark with a flashlight, starting with a cold stove, start the stove and when the firebox starts having smoke in it run the light along the exhaust system.

The two major culprits are the clean out tee, and the stove adapter.

Happy hunting.

I had the same problem with my enviro m55cast. If there is the tiniest leak the convection blower can pull it in and blow it through the tubes. I resealed my exhaust adapter and found one little spot on the inside of the stove where the exhaust met the adapter that was missing silicone. sealed that up also.
Smell is gone. No odor of anykind coming from stove. I put my nose real close to the adapter on start up and could smell the smoke. Check the gaskets also. mine has a gasket where the adapter connects to the stove

kykel said:
I had the same problem with my enviro m55cast. If there is the tiniest leak the convection blower can pull it in and blow it through the tubes. I resealed my exhaust adapter and found one little spot on the inside of the stove where the exhaust met the adapter that was missing silicone. sealed that up also.
Smell is gone. No odor of anykind coming from stove. I put my nose real close to the adapter on start up and could smell the smoke. Check the gaskets also. mine has a gasket where the adapter connects to the stove

Yep. I was just going to use you as an example. Also Smokey noted the same thing. If there is a exhaust leak in the back of the stove, (stove adapter, or any piece with a joint thereafter) the convection blower will suck it in, and blow it out. Then you smell it at the tubes.

Dark room with a bright light (right when the stove is starting up and the firebox is full of smoke, is the best time to look) should be able to find it. Once the pellets ignite and the convection blower kicks in, there is little smoke and massive air movement. Making it very hard to find.

Hey guys. Thanks for all the replys. I tried what you suggested however couldnt actually find a leak. However I did re seal everything and I was pretty generous with the sealant. Ill let it dry over night and check it Tom

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.